Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway the car is all resored minus all the glass, I have a $400 NOS windshiels and new seal. the frame is all painted and clean it looks fairly easy to do but was not sure if I was willing to pay $125 for some glass gus to do it, their eis no windo installed at this time and I cant register the car until I getr this installed, just currious on what to use and the complexity of the job.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just did mine - No biggie.
Before you start, make sure your chrome moulding clips are in good condition. You can get replacements at Advance Auto. You will have to stretch the gasket to fit it to the glass. It's a two-person job. I recommend 3M bedding and glazing compound to seal the gasket to the glass. Thread a 1/8" - 3/16" rope in the body channel on the gasket. Lubricate the gasket with a soap & water solution. Place the windshield on the car, have someone inside pulling the rope and gasket flap inside the car while the second person follows the rope pressing down on the glass. Do half the glass then go back and pull the other half of rope through. Keep an eye on the glass to make sure it stays centered in the frame.
The windshield is pretty simple to do as there are no 90 degree corners like the rear glass.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Make sure you purchase the FORD moulding clips. I purchased the replacement ones from NPD and they are so stiff that I bent the moulding installing it! Needless to say, some paint came off too. If you have trouble locaing the ford clips, check with your local Mustang club. They can steer you to a local reputable shop. I went that way, but my windshield was free, as I have a $0 deductable on comprehensive on my car! Of course it was a Carlite! *G*

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it isnt that hard i did it myself over the weekend for the first time ever and it rain the next weekend and no leaks!!!! YEAH!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts