Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have measured up my 67 and it looks like I can fit a p245/50 R16 tire in the rear with the correct offset rim. It is a bit more difficult to measure up the front.
What 16" front tire size have you fit on the front of a 67 without rubbing. I have been leaning towards getting a p225/50R16 to allow a little extra clearance.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have 245/45/16s all the way around. The car is lowered, has very heavy duty suspension and the fenders have been rolled. Also, I have Wilwood disc brakes and, on the front, they move the rims out something like 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

I get no rubbing!. You wouldn't think it possible if you saw it up close, but again, everything is really stiff! I used to have 235/60/14s and they did rub a bit if I hit a bump or went up a driveway just right. The lower profile that you are thinking of should help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have 245x50r16's on the front of a 69 with now problems. It is lowered a bit but suspension is basically stock other than that. You should have plenty of room on a 67 and later.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, maybe I should live dangerous and try the 245's. Lance, Thats a sweet car...

Glenn

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would highly recommend that you find a place who will mount the tires for you and let you make sure the clearance is OK. Most places don't want to be bothered with it, but some will be willing to work with you. You could always have them mount two of the 245s so you could check them out for the front. They should fit in the back without any problem (as long as the backspacing is correct), so you could always put them on the back if they are too tight.

Thanks for the compliment on the car - I've had it since I was 18 (bought it from my brother in completely stock condition in 1980!).

Good luck with the tires!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts