Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my leaking fuel pump with a Airtex model from Autozone. THe engine ran great, only it leaked fuel. The car does not idle, and stalls, I turned up the idle, but it still idles rellly roughly. I have looked on some sites, and there are Carter, and Bosch pumps available. I don't see any OEM Ford pumps available.

Anyone have any experience with Airtex, or recommendations for a replacement fuel Pump?

I don't want to return this one, and then still have a problem with a Airtex replacement.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
So the new fuel pump is leaking??
Exactly where is the fuel leaking from?
You mention that the car is running really rough.
Maybe both problems are being caused by a float level that is set too high.
Hopefully some others will chime in.

I doubt you need yet another fuel pump.
And if the Airtex? is leaking; it should have some kind of guarantee.
You may be able to get a credit towards a brand-name one.
MB

·
Registered
46 Posts
I run one of these pumps on my inline and it is working great for me, pretty straightforward 5 minute install and have been running it for months now. Any questions just ask

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The new pump does not leak. The engine idles badly after it warms up. It is fine with the fast idle when it is cold, but as it warms up, and goes to the normal idle, it has a very rough idle, and sometimes stalls. I adjusted the idle, and that helps somewhat, it still is rough. The idle was great with the original pump, it just leaked fuel. I looked on the Fordsix web site, and people seem to like the Carter pump.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It is possible that in the process of changing the pump and fuel lines that
you got a piece of trash in the line that went to the carb and is probably blocking a jet or idle passage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts