Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm on the look out for a 390 engine for my 68 fastback gt 390, she was built in November 67 & sold in March 68, so looking for a matching engine, i'm based in the UK but have a contact in Florida who can ship it to the UK.
My car has the rare option of the rear defogger, i have the blower/switch/wiring but missing the vent/hose that fits on the blower to the rear panel below the rear screen. Let me know what you have.
Thanks Mark.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have your twin ! Mine is built the same month, 68 GT fastback, gulfstream aqua, black gut, fold down 4 speed and rear window defrost. I need to find my Marti report ! I ship too so I will look around. Also check usa craigslist. If you look in my area Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecicut, Delaware area I can get it for you. Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all,
I'm on the look out for a 390 engine for my 68 fastback gt 390, she was built in November 67 & sold in March 68, so looking for a matching engine, i'm based in the UK but have a contact in Florida who can ship it to the UK.
My car has the rare option of the rear defogger, i have the blower/switch/wiring but missing the vent/hose that fits on the blower to the rear panel below the rear screen. Let me know what you have.
Thanks Mark.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great stuff, I bought mine from California 2 years ago had it shipped over to the UK. All original panels/glass & no rust anywhere, but missing the 390 engine, currently has the 351c engine which is fast & loud but wanting to put the 390 back where it belongs, please keep your eyes peeled & let me know if you come across a 390 engine.
cheers Mark.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When you say matching engine are you looking for specific date codes or just something to fill up the engine bay? Also are you looking for a running engine or a core to rebuild? How about trans, C6 or manual?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would prefer a matching running engine, but would have a non running if it were a matching numbers, C6 auto was originally in the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is my 68 390 GT project car
she was built in November 67 & sold in March 68
Sure looks like a "67 to me.
Suggest that you double check the build date as it would have had to have been prior to August 1967.
This will make a big difference if you are looking for a 390 with matching casting and assembly dates.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
There are two 390 engines listed for sale in the Atlanta area Craigslist.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Watch out for this one
390 Ford Engine S-Code With Transmission - $5000 on Atlanta craigslist
wrong heads for a fairlane/mustang application

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info,
I’ve only had my mustang for 2 years, so Still lots to learn, if anyone can point me in the right direction on what I should be looking out for regarding casting numbers, date codes etc. I would really appreciate it.
cheers Mark.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is my 68 GT390 minus the 390 engine, hoping I can find the right engine, some one must know where I can find the right engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Date codes could be 2-3 months prior to build date for the mass produced parts such as engine block / intake manifold and within a month or 2 for mustang / fairlane specific parts such as heads and exhaust manifolds. If I had to guess, I'd say you should be looking for the C8AE H heads with the 14 bolt exhaust pattern date coded around september / october of 1967. There is a chance you may find C7AE A heads dated that late but I don't believe so. You could also look for C6AE U and C6AE R heads but they were used on 66/67 fairlanes and some early 67 mustangs. For performance, the R heads flow better that the C8 H heads. The main thing is to make sure they have the 14 bolt exhaust manifold pattern, there are C8 H heads without it.

When looking for exhaust manifolds, do not get the C6 casting drivers (left) side manifold, these are strictly for a fairlane application, Ford redesigned the manifold for the mustang chassis, changing the angle slightly, the redesigned manifold will begin with a C7 casting number. The passenger (right) side are the same.

Intake manifolds will have a large S cast on one of the front runners, these were used on the Galaxie's / Thunderbirds as well and not that hard to find however I would stray from original in this case and use a decent aluminum manifold.

When these cars were built. the factory workers weren't concerned with finding matching dated parts, they simply pulled parts off the shelf or crates that were easily accessed. It wouldn't be unusual to find a set of heads that could vary by as much as 2 weeks.

Bottom motor mounts are different as well, Ford changed the location of 1 of the holes to angle the mount to accept the FE engine. If your car was originally equipped with the FE the mounts could still be there as a small block will line up but not correctly.

If there is a C6 behind your 351c, it will not bolt up to a FE series engine.

Power steering hose clamp /bracket is also specific to a FE equipped mustang but that could still be there as well.

Kick down lever on the accelerator rod was offset to the left a little more on a big block car but I have to believe that wasn't changed out when the 351 was installed.

There is a chance you may find a complete date coded engine but if you end up finding a piece at a time, the above guidelines should help you out.

I wouldn't be to concerned about date codes in my opinion unless it's a original unrestored trailer queen. if you plan on driving it and something happens to the date coded engine your starting over and doing it all again. My 68 S code coupe now has a 67 dated engine because it happened to me and 99% of the people that look at it don't know the difference and I can't believe the value has decreased that much, it's still a VIN correct S code. Good luck with your search, I'll keep my eyes open.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for your response, all is taken on board. Yes let me know if you come across anything interesting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts