Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? How many parts will I need to change? Front spindles and rear axles I expect. Any recommendations?

I want to change a bunch of stuff about this car, ultimately even the engine, but I want to start with this. I have a set of styled steel wheels I want to use.

·
Registered
37,256 Posts
No, your spindles are OK, but the brake backing plates, drums, and brake assemblies need to be swapped. On the rear, you need to replace the entire axle assembly from drum to drum.

So, why are you doing this?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I thought it was only the 65 and 66 Mustangs that had the 4 lug wheels for the 6 cyl engine? Anyways, I'm in the process of doing that exact same thing to my 65 coupe. You will need the rear axle from a 5 lug V8 Mustang. For the front wheels do a disc brake conversion. I going with the Granada kit from Opentracker and it comes with everything to go to 5 lug rotors. If you have the 14 inch styled steel wheels I don't believe the Granada rotors will work for you. You'll need to probably go to the stock 4 piston set-up. Good luck!

·
Registered
37,256 Posts
67-70 axle, actually. And the 4x4.5 bolt pattern wheels were used on all 170/200 six cylinder Mustangs 1965-1970.

That's an expensive set of wheels you have there.

There are aluminum wheels that will bolt right onto your 4-bolt car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's starting to sound like this mod may not be worthwhile. I'm getting a bit scared off about trying to convert to a v8 too from other posts I'm reading. Sounds like there are many parts to change and it will be costly. Now I'm just not sure what I should do... Maybe I should try to sell car and wheels and start over.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Where are you located? Someone on here may be able to provide an assist based on your location. It isn't that difficult, but requires a few parts that have been listed here. Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I updated my location on my profile here. I would like to go to power brakes and disc brakes, at least on the front, I'd like to have an overdrive or 4 speed transmission, power and tilt steering, the 5 lug setup, and a 289. I don't want to do throwaway work, so if one step could build on previous steps and not waste parts or money that's the way I'd prefer it. For example. changing to a v8 rear end accomplishes two goals--gets me to 5 lug and is one step in preparing for a v8 conversion. I suppose a front disc brake conversion wouldn't be wasted if I went power later, would it? Or does the power brake conversion need to be done at the same time.... So many questions.

·
Registered
37,256 Posts
Disc and power are separate conversions, although often bundles together.

You can put disc brakes on your 4-bolt setup.

The V8 conversion can most easily be accomplished by selling the car and buying a V8 car.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I updated my location on my profile here. I would like to go to power brakes and disc brakes, at least on the front, I'd like to have an overdrive or 4 speed transmission, power and tilt steering, the 5 lug setup, and a 289. I don't want to do throwaway work, so if one step could build on previous steps and not waste parts or money that's the way I'd prefer it. For example. changing to a v8 rear end accomplishes two goals--gets me to 5 lug and is one step in preparing for a v8 conversion. I suppose a front disc brake conversion wouldn't be wasted if I went power later, would it? Or does the power brake conversion need to be done at the same time.... So many questions.
That's a lot of changes and a lot of money to what is still going to be a factory 6 cylinder. It you were going to keep it forever, and have the spare cash, then no big deal. In the real world, though, it'll make a difference to a lot of potential buyers down the Mustang road.

I'm new to this forum, but I've owned a lot of these old cars, Ford, GM, and Mopar all. I've bought them needing work, and rebuilt them, and bought them pretty much finished, and nearly always, in the long run, it's cheaper to buy a car that is already in pretty good shape.

I agree with 22GT. That's gonna be an expensive set of styled steel wheels.

·
Registered
511 Posts
mpaschall, here is my shopping list for my similar '68 I-6 A/T manual steering manual drum brake car. My girlfriend will be driving it and PS and PB are pretty much a must. Happy to have shoulder belts as well!

In order:

1. Borgeson PS kit with pump. I will do this in stages - first with the 6 cylinder in place and a longer PS hose, later with the V8 and a shorter PS hose, but the kit should just bolt in after collapsing the factory steering column 1-2".

2. CSRP disc brake kit, with the power conversion option. This will have to be done at the same time as the 9" rear conversion, as that will make the car 5-lug.

3. Engine I have already, a 302-based stroker.

4. Suspension - TCP kit up front that retains the regular spring and shock up front but allows for coilover conversion later and doesn't require Shelby/Arning Drop holes to be drilled - it has a drop bracket. Rear will be Flex-a-Lite springs and probably a Cal-Trac or something similar.

5. The most expensive part - Lentech or competing AOD. Yeah, I want an OD as I will be going with shorter rear gears. It's either that or a Gear Vendors overdrive, and a built C4 plus Gear Vendors costs more . . .

Not cheap, but I think there's a lot of value in the parts I have listed above . . . you could do this step by step, but the biggest chunk seems to me to be the front and rear brake/rear end/5-lug conversion part of it, whether or not you go with upgraded A-arms as I am doing.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
37,256 Posts
Okay... Maybe my best answer is to keep 4-lug and 6-cyl setup. And if I want a car set up that differently from what I have, it'll be time to sell and go shopping.
All sorts of things can be done. If you get dual headers, and install stock GT dual exhaust, everyone will think you put a 289 in it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I found an 8" rear that someone gave me right here on VMF. That part isn't that hard to change. You can even change your rear stance at that time if you want. The expense in the lug conversion is the front brakes. I found Granada set up in a junk yard, but to run your wheels you won't be able to do that.

·
Registered
37,256 Posts
I found an 8" rear that someone gave me right here on VMF. That part isn't that hard to change. You can even change your rear stance at that time if you want. The expense in the lug conversion is the front brakes. I found Granada set up in a junk yard, but to run your wheels you won't be able to do that.
Yep. Styled steel wheels won't fit the hubs of the Granada rotors.

·
Registered
634 Posts
There is another option. If you have a V8 donor, you can get all you need to convert to a 5-lug. The rear axle assembly and driveshaft takes care of the rear. In the case of our '66 vert, it was easiest to swap over the front spindles and brakes complete along with the steering linkage. You keep the same control arms, shocks and springs. The added benefit was the improved stopping power with the larger V8 brakes. With all the cars being converted to rack and pinion, disc fronts, and non-stock front suspensions, there should be a fair amount of these parts around. Although disc brakes are even better, contrary to the impression of many we did not have to resort to dragging our feet, tossing out anchors or ramming trees to stop these cars with mere drum brakes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
70vert, sounds like you are doing the kinds of things I want to do. I'd like to do these things in stages where the car would still be driveable. Thank you everyone, you have been most helpful. I still haven't made up my mind where I'm going from here. I hope someday I can contribute to others questions. I'm new to all this, but I'm learning. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.