Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a seal or grommet around the two vacuum hoses through the firewall for the A/C valve and vacuum reservoir (see my index and middle finger)?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yes there should be grommets there

·
Registered
635 Posts
I posted a similar question a few months ago. I haven’t found an aftermarket Mustang-specific grommet, but picked up some assorted grommets on Amazon that should do the trick. Still need to install. HTH.

·
Registered
838 Posts
+1 see "view A" in the diagram below. I don't have any part number reference. Did not look in the assembly manual yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I have searched the assembly manuals high and low and I couldn’t find an answer. I found where the lines run through the firewall, but no mention of any grommet.
I will use something universal and let you all know if I find something that fits well.

·
Registered
35,460 Posts
Common chassis grommets will work perfectly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My originals had grommets, and then sealer applied.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up using Dorman 02365, which is a variety of grommets. Dorman Products - 02365

The 5/16" grommet was a good fit for the 7/64" hose, which I think most cars have two of. I ended up using a 5/32" hose with a 3/8" grommet on mine for the vacuum reservoir, since I had a good reproduction tilt wheel vacuum reservoir on hand which has a larger nipple but seems otherwise the same as the A/C version for my later '68. They are both a little loose to be a tight seal, but closer than just big holes. I assume the factory doused these with that messy firewall sealer they used.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I found this - illustration P-5680 which identifies the grommet as Ford part# 380851-S

It's not in any ford standard and utility parts manuals that I have. It is not in the MPC text catalog, so it appears that it was not serviced.

I also found a wanted ad here from way back: Bracket and groomets for a 67 with a/c

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I searched for months for those, but the part number comes up as heater hose grommets, so I suspect the drawing has the wrong number. I have documented dozens of such typos on old Ford drawings. I finally gave up and used stock grommets of the right size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts