Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a straight and rust free roof close to central NJ. Kicker is that I had one 6 months ago and couldn’t give it away. I know how hard it is to sell one but now I need one.

If you have a parts car and aren’t too far away let me know!

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
I'll check with a friend of mine, he has a '68 coupe parts car. Located in Deep River, CT 06417.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim but that is a bit out of my travel range and not in the price range I was looking for.

I also had an offer for another in DC for $200 but the same applies.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me know what your friend says.

It’s kind of far but if the price is right.
;)

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, now I just got a ridiculous offer of $300 if I cut the roof off or $500 if the other party does it.

Come on guys!

This isn’t a K-code engine or a date that has to match! It’s just an everyday coupe roof that Ford made 356,326 of in 67 and 249,456 in 1968.

That’s over 600,000 cars!

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rust, Dent and Cut free!

I want to change the panel at the factory seems.

How about Eastern Pennsylvania or Northeast Maryland?

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Is Virginia too far ? I have a 67 Parts Coupe. I have a friend in the shipping business that can give you the good buddy price...

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well here are some explanations I have heard,

1. They are rare.
  2. The new fastback roofs are $300.
  3. That’s the going rate.
  4. Labor involved for removing and storing the parts.
Here where my answers,

1. I didn't know 605,782 coupes out of 789,632 Mustangs built makes them rare.
  2. If I could get a new coupe roof where I didn't have to surgically remove over 250 spot welds and melt the lead joints I would jump on it.
  3. If it was the going rate then how come I couldn't give a perfect on away just 8 months ago.
  4. I shouldn't have to pay for the labor of removing and storing other parts that you intend on selling anyway.
:mad:

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Ed,
1. I don't think anyone said they were rare, just not being reproduced.
2. I guess you shouldn't have given away the perfect roof you had 8months ago.
3. You expected me to remove the roof from a parts parts car / and the labor to do it and then wanted to pay in your words from email " free or up to a $100 delivered" then get it delivered to you for free...?
You must have bumped your head

Keep looking, I'm sure you will find one closer to home, Best of luck, Chris

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[big]First of all did I single you out amongst all the others that replied to me?[/big]

Someone asked me a question and I answered it honestly sighting the reasons given by various sellers for the cost.

1. I have had a few people say that they were rare and even one person said that they were rare because of all of the vinyl tops that were installed.
  2. If I could see the future or had the room to keep the roof I had I would have. My neighbors would not appreciate it if my yard looked like a junkyard.
  3. If you have to remove the parts anyway because you are parting the car then that’s part of the game. The quotes that I have been given of free on up to $100 are too far away for me but are from hobbyist and not people in the parts business.
  4. I guess $250 delivered could be fair but since I have had cheaper offers I figure eventually I will find one in my budget within a few hours drive.

[big]Not once did I single you or anyone else out so for you to write back like this is ridiculous! You were not the only person to send me some kind of response!

All your last posts do is make me not want to do any business with you.[/big]

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Lighten-up...

I was the last one you responded to your post. My point is you expected me to spend half a day or more, and ship it to you for free or up to a hundred dollars for shipping. Your excuse was well " you eventually will sell off those other parts on your car and make money "( Well, you don't know that, this is a parts car for my own use ) I may get a car that is rust free except a damaged roof just like you.... who knows! And yes, if I sell the roof off it I would have to strip alot of stuff off it becuase it would now be exposed to the weather... Its not an hour job. Do you want to store and entire interior in your garage so I can have the roof off your project ? I don't think you would spend your weekend working on something for me for several hours for free and then give me the part and then ship it for free because I have someone driving that way. I challenge you to: Ask around your local shops and see what they would charge to do this and then ship it to Virginia. I simply told you what I was willing to do, and could care less whether you want to do business with me. There is a reason you are STILL looking for this part and several people have tried to assist you. $250 delivered from VA is very fair.

I will say it again... Best of luck and hope you find something closer. If you feel like yelling some more knock yourself out.
Merry Christmas, Chris

1 - 20 of 25 Posts