Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beed a nice deck lid for a 67 or 68 preferably a 68 with the holes drilled for the chrome molding already. Needs to be rust free. Going on a big block convertible. Any one have one or know of any.? THanks., Guy [email protected]

·
Registered
673 Posts
Try posting in the parts wanted section of this website.

Good luck, it took me two months of searching to find one that was rust free, and wasn't oil canned.

Thespazardman.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I kept the one off my 68 parts cart I bought last year. Can't really remember what its like, but if it was junk it would have been tossed. E-mail me if you want.

68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570462&a=11937310&p=44317415.jpg

·
Registered
673 Posts
Ever try and to hammer out a dent and the damn thing kept reflecting back?

Oil-Canned:
There is, or has been, a dent in the sheet metal, and you can push it into the correct position, but it just deflects back to the shape it prefers. So you can push on it, and let go, and it makes a sound like the old oil cans, boinky, boinky. Like the metal lid of a pickle jar (or snapple bottle) after it's been opened and the vacuum is lost.

I've seen a half dozen "good" trunk lids with this problem. Its usually caused when the steel streches a bit too much for too long. If the "oil-canned" area is indented, then some guys will fix it with bondo, but then if it's ever pushed form the other side a bit, the bondo just pops out.. yick.

Sometimes it's hard to see without probing the trunk lid a bit.

It can be fixed by a talented eye and a blow torch by shrinking and stretching the metal in the right direction, but they rarely come out just right in my opinon.

Thespazardman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts