Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone devised a more elegant way to hold open the trap door of a 67/68 Fastback? The OEM style works...but it seems like there should be a better way.
Thanks.

·
Dimples
3,636 Posts
I can't imagine how you could improve it. Open it, it stays open. Push it up slightly then it comes down. I think it's about as elegant as it could be. Unless they changed it from 66? Mine works great.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't imagine how you could improve it. Open it, it stays open. Push it up slightly then it comes down. I think it's about as elegant as it could be. Unless they changed it from 66? Mine works great.
Yeah, the 66 is much more refined and "elegant." 67/8 is more like a literal kickstand. As far as I can tell, you just have to manhandle the thing. Setting it is a cinch. Removing it takes some aggression.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They did a lot of that sort of stuff between 66 and 67 (see: windshield washer pump).

I thought about that. But the door is a different shape, I believe, so I THINK the swing of the door would be different. So I'd have to reshape the track? Not sure.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No worries! Glad to see someone has the same idea on the solution. Just might have to get creative on the execution (if that's the best option). If I mount it the same distance from the top...I think the arc would be the same. Is there a latch, or is the door held open by friction? I don't know much about 65/66 functionality.

·
Dimples
3,636 Posts
There’s a latch built into the collapsing prop “rod”. It’s more like a channel, kind of reminiscent of cabinet drawer sliders. When it opens it catches and then settles in the open position. Then you lift up on the door and it releases. It really is clever. Can’t imagine why they would change it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There’s a latch built into the collapsing prop “rod”. It’s more like a channel, kind of reminiscent of cabinet drawer sliders. When it opens it catches and then settles in the open position. Then you lift up on the door and it releases. It really is clever. Can’t imagine why they would change it.
Sounds a lot like the hatch hold open for the classic Bronco (Also thought about using one of those on a pivot).

Well...it's hard to get much cheaper than a bent section rod and no moving parts. I suspect that had something to do with it :).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts