Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any luck with the 67-68 reproduction firewall pads that actually fit?

I've tried the cheap repops one and don't like the fit.

Has anybody tried the more expensive molded pad like what NPD sells? Supposedly it needs minor modification to work, but what exactly is involved?

Any pics?

thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I purchased the "good" one from NPD. It's made for '65 -'66 "modify for '67 -'68". If you look at photos of the firewall sheetmetal for these cars, you'll see that they aren't even close in shape/size. This explains why mine fit so horribly when I tried to install it.

I ended up peeling the rubber backing off and just putting the bare padding on the firewall. It was better than nothing.

I am unaware of anyone making an accurate reproduction of the factory pad. It's one of those parts that amazes me in its absence on the market. There are many obscure parts still available on thousands of parts cars everywhere that are being reproduced, yet this one which is rarely, if ever, in useable condition on any parts car is not reproduced. I have three parts cars myself. One has no pad. One's pad is trashed. The third's condition is unknown, but based on the condition of the car, it's not hopeful.

I don't get it.

I'm soon to be forced to come up with a homemade firewall pad like everyone else.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
The original Fire wall pad in my 65 turn out to be

EXTREMELY flammable.

From welding on the floor I could not shield it well enough from
even the tiniest embers igniting it. It burns smokey Like leafs...
and does not smother out at all. Depriving it of oxygen was
quite hard to do.

After my welding job I have decided to remove it
do too it's burning condition.
If I had not accidentally ignited it a couple of
times I would never have known how well it loves fire.

I would rather have nothing than to have the original accelerator it seems to be.

JMHO , but I am not doing a concourse job.
Thought I would share this new found concern from
last week.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I got mine from Dallas Mustang and it was about two inches to short (side to side), I ended up cutting it right above the steering column and using the two pieces with a small gap. Compared to the original which came out in pieces/shreds, its much better.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I have the more expensive repro from NPD and will be fitting it in the next month or so.

The local shop actually recommended buying the cheap one to use as a template, but he likes the expensive one better.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
You will be better off cost wise just to make your own. If not a concurs car, then just use seome stock sound deading material.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Justin I was hoping you would reply since I saw on the other topic you said you ordered the "good" one.

Let me know in a month or so if you get yours fitted. From what I've seen of the cheap one, its not a good template to use at all.

Most everything I've read so far is similar to posted above, the reproductions stink and I'm better off making my own with modern (and non-flamable) heat and sound deadening material.

This is a topic I keep coming back to because I just seem to be drawn to trying to find something "close" rather than fabricate something entirely on my own.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I have used the expensive one and it is better than the inexpensive one.....barely. I have a couple beat up old ones I use as a pattern. I would think it would be a nightmare without one.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I have the expensive one on my 68. It is better than the cheap one and looks OK to me. I'm not worried about MCA judging so if it has some "incorrect" aspects no big deal.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
tlea said:
I have used the expensive one and it is better than the inexpensive one.....barely. I have a couple beat up old ones I use as a pattern. I would think it would be a nightmare without one.
Would you be willing to rent out an old one to be carefully used as a pattern?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I'm pretty sure I still have one at my other garage. If I do I can trace it and mail you the paper.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tlea said:
I'm pretty sure I still have one at my other garage. If I do I can trace it and mail you the paper.
If you can do that for Justin I'll gladly pay you to send out a second tracing for me as well.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
If we can get one, I would gladly document the modifications I make to the "better" firewall pad to get it to fit.

I am sure this would be very helpful to others as well.

If we only get one tracing I can send it on to the next guy...

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Give me a week or two as I'm not heading over there for a while. If you don't hear from me by then send me a pm to remind me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts