Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
VMF'ers,

Yes, I've seen the dodgesgtang chart. Not enough details for me to know for sure. I have a 67 GT with a negative wedge kit that relocates 1.75". Some kit's list different relocate amounts. It's a GT so it has the 67 factory front disc setup, all factory. I have the grab-a-trac 620's with the 1" spacer.

With a flat edge on the wheel mounting surface and measuring for a 17" wheel, I'm still seeing a max back space of 4.5" before hitting the tip of the upper control arm. I'm wondering if 18" wheels will clear the UCA and allow a greater back space. I'm out of town and away from the car for a while but still trying to figure this out via the forum. What's going on is the drop of the UCA from the neg. wedge is raising the tip of the UCA.

Has anyone put 18"s on a 67 or 68 with the neg. wegde and 620's? If so, please let me know more about how things fit for you.

I found this article to be a good source. I've determined my max rear would be 17x9.5 with 6.125 back space and bfg kdw g-force 275 40's.

1968 1/2 Cobra Jet Fastback - Modified Mustangs & Fords

But before going 17", I'd consider 18" if it bought me more than the 245 45's, I could max fit using 17x8 with 4.5 BS.

Thanks.

Howard

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have OpenTrackers front roller upper arms,1.5" drop.
I'm using 18X8 wheels on the front,and rear, with 5" back space 225/45 18 tires,front. 255/45 rear.
In 2 years of driving the fronts have never touched the fenders,but they do hit the snubbers when the front is very heavily loaded. The rear tires rub at about 2 oclock on the left,10 on right. This is the usual rub spot on a 68.
How low is my car? From the side the front and rear tires are covered by the fender about 1/2",cant see the top of the tire.
Hope that helps.

BTW a 17X8 late model TT with 4.98" BS,stock Ford wheel needed a 7/8" spacer to clear the upper control arm.

The outer "lip" of my control arms are trimmed,but Opentracker did the mod so I don't know how much.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts