Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After upgrading to a 4G alternator with a Serpentine pulley system my Ammeter no longer functioned as it should. Even before the upgrade the needle barely moved.

So, I decided to install a VoltMeter. There are a few how-to's out there using a variety of methods and gauges.

The below link is the quick write-up what I did on mine. It is in a PDF. I hope it helps some members out there as I have received a lot of help by visiting this forum over the years.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_PefLrGOFBrMmRQOFItX3U4QVU/view?usp=sharing

If there is any interest in a how-to on the Serpentine Pulley/4G upgrade when I get time I will do that write-up. I used all Ford parts to get this to work on my SBF 68 Mustang.

68Hildago

·
Registered
813 Posts
Nice work on the conversion. Looks good. However I would not recommend attaching your existing ammeter wires to that guage. The ammeter is wired diferently than the voltmeter as it is basically "in-line" on a positive wire. You should be able to use either existing wire as a source to the positive terminal of your volt guage and run the negative terminal to ground.

Rick

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work on the conversion. Looks good. However I would not recommend attaching your existing ammeter wires to that guage. The ammeter is wired diferently than the voltmeter as it is basically "in-line" on a positive wire. You should be able to use either existing wire as a source to the positive terminal of your volt guage and run the negative terminal to ground.

Rick
Correct, the Ammeter uses 2 positive wires, one being a shunt(essentially a different resistance due to being longer and a higher gauge). These are also not 'switched' so you should not use either as the power source for the Voltmeter unless you don't mind your gauge always reading.

68Hildago

·
Registered
168 Posts
Correct, the Ammeter uses 2 positive wires, one being a shunt(essentially a different resistance due to being longer and a higher gauge). These are also not 'switched' so you should not use either as the power source for the Voltmeter unless you don't mind your gauge always reading.

68Hildago
So with doing this conversion to a voltmeter...do you just leave the original ammeter wires unplugged and hanging there? Or do you splice them together? - Brian

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So with doing this conversion to a voltmeter...do you just leave the original ammeter wires unplugged and hanging there? Or do you splice them together? - Brian
They do not need to be spliced together on the 67/68 clusters with this mod. Just leave them separate. I zip-tied them to the main wiring so they didn't just hang around.

68Hildago...

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Now THATs why I come to this site. $13 mod and an interesting afternoon of crafting! Well done, I've had my eye out for the right ammeter for my 66 for quite some time although I would have to admit its been a somewhat passive search. For 20 years I have used the headlight voltmeter, if they get brighter, I'm good ;o)

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Very nice work, has anyone done something similar for a 66?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice work, has anyone done something similar for a 66?
Here is a VMF link that shows the same style Voltmeter installed in a 65/66.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/920969-rocketman-65-66-ammeter-conversion-install.html

He ended up going with the Rocketman's VM. But if you look at his pictures all you would need to do is extend the black faceplate down to match the original profile. I would be tempted to try this: Remove both faceplates. Fasten the Ammeter faceplate to the VM and install the Vm faceplate on top of it.

just some suggestions as the OP claimed the VM let too much light in around it on the 65/66.

Try it and let us know :)

68Hildago...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice work! I might do this mod and remove my voltmeter from the clock spot in my 68. Then I could install a mini tach or shift light in that position to get the tach off of the steering column.

Thx

I have also installed a mini-tach in the clock position. I mounted it flush to the cluster frame and not to the bezel. This allows the ambient lighting from inside the cluster to illuminate the tach face just like it does with a clock installed. I made a bracket that mounts on the back of the cluster to hold the tach in place.

Doing it this way you do not need to use the tach's light.

68Hildago...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great job and thanks for posting the pdf. with the link to the voltmeter you bought. Any chance you can give us a link to the mini-tach that you used too?

Thanks - Rebar.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great job and thanks for posting the pdf. with the link to the voltmeter you bought. Any chance you can give us a link to the mini-tach that you used too?

Thanks - Rebar.

This is the Tach I used but was a couple of years ago now.

2-1/2 in. 7,000 RPM Tachometer | Princess Auto

I wish I would of used this one which matches the VoltMeters face.

Welcome to Tradervar Ltd. - Fast Same Day Shipping!<br>Phone: 1-866-370-8524

I made a bracket that holds the tach from the outside that allows it to sit flush with the metal housing. I just bent a piece of aluminum flatbar into a C square bracket with tabs to mount to the housing from the backside. The center of it has a hole drilled through to mount the tach to it.

I had to use a dremel to trim some of the housing to allow the tach to sit centered to the bezel. Once I had it centered I used some hot glue to keep it from moving. I removed the glass but kept the tachs bezel on and that helps it sit flush to the inside of the housing.

I also replaced all the bulbs with LEDs but kept the blue bulb covers on.

Hope that helps

68Hildago...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great, I think try to get the bosch voltmeter and the matching bosch mini-tach. I might see if Lordco or KMS Car Parts can get these for me without having to pay our exchange rate and shipping from the U.S. (Any links that you can provide to Canadian suppliers would be greatly appreciated as well.)

Thanks for doing all the research and work on this stuff, you just saved me a lot of time.

-Rebar.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Great, I think try to get the bosch voltmeter and the matching bosch mini-tach. I might see if Lordco or KMS Car Parts can get these for me without having to pay our exchange rate and shipping from the U.S. (Any links that you can provide to Canadian suppliers would be greatly appreciated as well.)

Thanks for doing all the research and work on this stuff, you just saved me a lot of time.

-Rebar.

Auto Parts in Canada! - Canada Auto Parts Online

They have the Voltmeter and Tach in stock it looks like.

http://www.autopartsway.ca/search.cfm?allveh/allb/allct/allsct/search:fst7985

http://www.autopartsway.ca/search.cfm?allveh/allb/allct/allsct/search:fst7906

Free shipping on orders over $100. They are a bit more pricey, but at least it is in Canadian Dollars and ships from a Canadian depot.

68Hildago...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for providing the links, it doesn't take much to get over the $100 mark for the free shipping so this will work fine for a lot of other parts I will need too. -Rebar.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts