Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking my 68 vert quarter windows apart in order to get the chrome plated castings replated.
Planning ahead I have two immediate questions:

First the shop manual page 17-64 Quarter Window Glass Mustang and Cougar-remove.
Step 9. says "One piece of the frame is bonded to the glass and cannot be removed".
I also have the Osborn exploded view manual for 67/68. It has an unusually clear
view of the quarter window but gives me no idea of what is permanently bonded.
Would like to know what I'm running into!

Second the glass shown set into the assembly with what looks like a molded seal.
It's probably a glass setting tape, right? Looked in my NPD and MU cats, didn't find.

My plan is I will polish the stainless part of the frame, get the casting replated.

Not doing concours resto but figure the concours people probably do this regularly.
No insult intended to the non concours. Looking at my Stang I need to be humble!
Just don't like pitted chrome! :shrug:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
The glass isn't bonded to anything. There is a rubber gasket around the glass not setting tape. I don't know of anyone repoping them but the originals can usually be reused. make sure you slide out division weatherstrip to reveal the upper screws that retain the stainless to the chrome.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the info. Once again the Ford shop manual is not the gospel! :shrug:
Yes I did slide out the the division seal after removing the bottom screw. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
tlea said:
The glass isn't bonded to anything. There is a rubber gasket around the glass not setting tape. I don't know of anyone repoping them but the originals can usually be reused. make sure you slide out division weatherstrip to reveal the upper screws that retain the stainless to the chrome.
It sounds like you are talking about the vent windows, and Slim is talking about the (rear) quarter windows.

I bet the glass is retained by setting tape just like the door glass is.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Bashed68 said:
It sounds like you are talking about the vent windows, and Slim is talking about the (rear) quarter windows.

Nope, we are talking about the same thing , 1/4 windows and you would lose that bet.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tlea said:
Bashed68 said:

Nope, we are talking about the same thing , 1/4 windows and you would lose that bet.

I absolutely agree. The quarter window is just as you say. The surround gasket is shown
in the Osborn exploded view book it's clearly on a Ford illustration. It's the Ford shop
manual that has the erronius statement not me!!!

By the way MU has a quarter glass rubber stting channel (U shaped cross section extruded
rubber) specifically for seating quarter windows.
It's their part 4588, $0.95/ft.
I ordered some along with some other stuff and intend to give it a try.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Slim,, I had the pot metal plated and polished the stainless on my quarter windows last winter. You can save the factory rubber seals if you carefully take them apart. Try putting some WD-40 or penetrating oil such as PB Blaster on the rubber BEFORE you pull out the glass. I made sure that the PB blaster got down inside the window channel between the stainless and the pot metal and the rubber and just gently wiggle the glass after seperating the two halves of the frame slightly. I was able to use the original rubber seals over and they are pretty unique in design. It will make your job of putting things back together must easier if you can save the originals. Just go slowly and use plenty of penetrating oil and you may be able to preserve all of the original parts. By the way, this same method worked well on saving the front vent window rubbers too. Just wiggle and pry in very small and gentle installments.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jjmurphy said:
Slim,, I had the pot metal plated and polished the stainless on my quarter windows last winter. You can save the factory rubber seals if you carefully take them apart. Try putting some WD-40 or penetrating oil such as PB Blaster on the rubber BEFORE you pull out the glass. I made sure that the PB blaster got down inside the window channel between the stainless and the pot metal and the rubber and just gently wiggle the glass after seperating the two halves of the frame slightly. I was able to use the original rubber seals over and they are pretty unique in design. It will make your job of putting things back together must easier if you can save the originals. Just go slowly and use plenty of penetrating oil and you may be able to preserve all of the original parts. By the way, this same method worked well on saving the front vent window rubbers too. Just wiggle and pry in very small and gentle installments.

Murf, thanks for the suggestions. I have lots of time, tend to take pride in getting
something apart without wrecking anything. It's encouraging that the gasket/seal can
possibly be saved.

I'm also removing the original glass from my vent windows and will reinstall.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mil1ion said:
Found the thread.

Slim, I wonder if the only difference between Vert windows is the shape of glass and the stainless frame ?

I would thing everything else would be the same as the Coupe

I'll check the book.

Dennis, interesting the casting is different enough that the seal in unique
for vert vs coupe. Another interesting point is the note on this figure says "use
bulk glass setting tape..." Evidently from the start there was no intention to provide
the gasket/seal as a serviced part!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
slim said:
tlea said:
Bashed68 said:

I absolutely agree. The quarter window is just as you say. The surround gasket is shown
in the Osborn exploded view book it's clearly on a Ford illustration. It's the Ford shop
manual that has the erronius statement not me!!!

By the way MU has a quarter glass rubber stting channel (U shaped cross section extruded
rubber) specifically for seating quarter windows.
It's their part 4588, $0.95/ft.
I ordered some along with some other stuff and intend to give it a try.

In the interest of full disclosure (does that sound political?!) the 4588 quarter
window setting channel arrived from MU yesterday. I wonder what it's supposed to be for?
This rubber channel is .430" outside, that's the size of the outside of the stainless!

I sent MU an email to their technical area informing them of this NO WAY :loco:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts