Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to swap out the steering box on our 66 vert with a later box and shaft. Suspension has been tcp updated fore and aft

Looking to reduce vibrations at steering wheel employing later box short shaft and insulator or rag joint.

will 67/68 steering box be a bolt on mod?
looking to keep manual steering setup.

thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
The 64-70 Mustang boxes all have same bolt patterns, same size externally. So, yes you can bolt in a 68-70 steering box on 66 frame rail perfectly.

·
Registered
34,956 Posts
That said, you will have to modify the dash. And you'll need to use the early 67 box with the 1" sector shaft.

Of course, the real reason Ford changed this was safety. If you think this modification will reduce vibrations, you will be disappointed. My 66 still has the "spear-o-matic" solid shaft, and no vibration. Fix what's really wrong, be it alignment, dynamic balance, etcetera.

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
I have a '68 box in my '65. You must use the '68 power steering pitman arm with it. As I see it the steering column is going to be the problem. I used an '87-'91 F series tilt column in mine. I obtained a '68 "horse collar" that secures the lower end of the column to the firewall. I had to modify it to make it fit the '65 firewall. The '65 clamp under the edge of the dash works with my column but I don't think it will work with a '68 column. The early '67 column is the same long shaft box as the '65/'66. The late'67/'68 box is the short shaft box.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,005 Posts
You won't really want to go to a 67 1 inch sector shaft manual box. Finding a '67 manual steering 1 inch pitman arm is like hen's teeth. I don't think it is repro'd although if it is please correct me. A NOS one is rare and $$$ these days.

·
Registered
10,645 Posts
You won't really want to go to a 67 1 inch sector shaft manual box. Finding a '67 manual steering 1 inch pitman arm is like hen's teeth. I don't think it is repro'd although if it is please correct me. A NOS one is rare and $$$ these days.
@dobrostang correct me if I'm wrong but ,, if you want to put a 67 short shaft in a 65/66 the 1" sector is the way to do it because you can still use the 65/66 pitman arm
The issue is the 67 box with the 1 1/8 sector and matching pitman arm

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
If there is such a thing as a 67 1" short shaft, it should work just fine with your pitman arm. I got a new 67 short shaft steering box in a trade since my box was toast. I wasn't however told about the 1 1/8" difference. So, called around and found mustang barn or someone that knew what they were talking about and had the right extremely rare 67/68 pitman arm for $30 plus shipping - lucky and many many moons ago.

The only real reason to do all this is if you come across a new steering box AND are wanting to put a 68 collapsible steering column in an early car which I did. Once I saw the spear without the column on it aimed right at my heart, I thought I'm too aggressive in my driving to have this, so I opted for the illusion that a collapsable steering column could compensate for my mesolimbic dopamine habit. Unfortunately, 6 years later i fouled the collapsable steering with an EPAS install which still BTW has SOME colapsability built into it by design, just not as much.

So there you have it, don't jump unless you want to jump off the cliff and go for it. Your reasoning to do so is ill founded, as GT says, it won't change anything - I can vouch for this before and after on the same car. Your car has issues that need to be addressed, a rag joint with its own failure mode is not a real improvement. When I went to EPAS I got rid of the rag in favor of a knuckle...

M

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
The 1" manual pitman for 67 is very hard to find. No Repos. The 1 1/8" manual pitman is available new repo.
So if one wants a short shaft rag joint style box, they might want to go with a SMB K box witch is 1 1/8".
1" sector short shaft 16 to 1 box is a SMB E Box in 67.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 64-70 Mustang boxes all have same bolt patterns, same size externally. So, yes you can bolt in a 68-70 steering box on 66 frame rail perfectly.
Chock

tnanks for the heads u
Pat

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That said, you will have to modify the dash. And you'll need to use the early 67 box with the 1" sector shaft.

Of course, the real reason Ford changed this was safety. If you think this modification will reduce vibrations, you will be disappointed. My 66 still has the "spear-o-matic" solid shaft, and no vibration. Fix what's really wrong, be it alignment, dynamic balance, etcetera.
22GT,

My original thought was all the mods we made tighten up the front end far beyond what a Ford designed into the system. solid shaft steering may exaggerate any road vibration. What mods have you made to your 66 prior to changing out your steering box?

I never like it when a long list of upgrades gets mentioned, many times things get noted that have no bearing on a given situation, So please keep in mind I am just trying to be thorough.
we made all of these mods in the last 10k miles:

All front end bushings changed to polygraphite pieces,
620lbs coil springs,
non rollerized spring perchs poly graphite bushing here too.
shelby drop,
tcp non coil over tubular upper and lower a-arms,
tcp struts, no rubber or nylon washers or bushings at front support, metal to metal joint,
konis, then tried set of kyb’s -much lighter dampening no real vibration change.
kelsey Hayes disc set up
cross member that has lower a-arm amounts as well as frame to frame.
1.250” front sway bar,
tcp 5 piece export base set up,
gw tubular weld in sub frame connector.

Tire balance and alignment checked out. Wheel bearings good, repacked and reinstalled To spec.
Though I did not pay much attention to the rotors. Will make that my next item to check out.

sure was hoping a knuckle style steering column design would resolve the issue..

Pat

·
Premium Member
6,798 Posts
The 1967 1" power steering pitman is the same as the 65 66 V8 pitman, and will fit on a 1967 short shaft box.

SMB-C short shaft 1" manual box
SMB-E short shaft 1" power box

Both of these will work with the 65 66 V8 pitman.

The boxes are hard to find. I had one custom built for a customer, not cheap.

The SMB-K, 1 1/8" workhorse 67 - 70 power , are very common, and often in good shape, as they were common and power steering was not flogged as hard. Using a 1967 - 1970 power steering pitman, they fit exactly onto a 1965 1966 either power steering or manual steering. Same ratio as the HCC-AX or HCC-AW, 4 to one, power steering or "quick turn" manual steering, versus the HCC-AT, 5 turn vanilla manual box. You then use the 1968 steering column. There was an article years ago in Mustangs and Fords, step by step how to do the changeover. I have sold several of these for conversions.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
22GT,

My original thought was all the mods we made tighten up the front end far beyond what a Ford designed into the system. solid shaft steering may exaggerate any road vibration. What mods have you made to your 66 prior to changing out your steering box?

I never like it when a long list of upgrades gets mentioned, many times things get noted that have no bearing on a given situation, So please keep in mind I am just trying to be thorough.
we made all of these mods in the last 10k miles:

All front end bushings changed to polygraphite pieces,
620lbs coil springs,
non rollerized spring perchs poly graphite bushing here too.
shelby drop,
tcp non coil over tubular upper and lower a-arms,
tcp struts, no rubber or nylon washers or bushings at front support, metal to metal joint,
konis, then tried set of kyb’s -much lighter dampening no real vibration change.
kelsey Hayes disc set up
cross member that has lower a-arm amounts as well as frame to frame.
1.250” front sway bar,
tcp 5 piece export base set up,
gw tubular weld in sub frame connector.

Tire balance and alignment checked out. Wheel bearings good, repacked and reinstalled To spec.
Though I did not pay much attention to the rotors. Will make that my next item to check out.

sure was hoping a knuckle style steering column design would resolve the issue..

Pat
Pat, my whole front suspension on my is steel bearing. Everything, even idler arm. I have a Street or Track suspension along with their Bilstein shocks and I have the original solid shaft 16:1 box. The only time I can notice any harshness is if I'm specifically paying attention for it. Which feels similar to maybe a set of low profile tires. Other then that, no way a unpleasant experience. My front springs are SD .620" that are rated at 600# and have half a coil cut off. Firm yes but again not harsh or unpleasant

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If there is such a thing as a 67 1" short shaft, it should work just fine with your pitman arm. I got a new 67 short shaft steering box in a trade since my box was toast. I wasn't however told about the 1 1/8" difference. So, called around and found mustang barn or someone that knew what they were talking about and had the right extremely rare 67/68 pitman arm for $30 plus shipping - lucky and many many moons ago.

The only real reason to do all this is if you come across a new steering box AND are wanting to put a 68 collapsible steering column in an early car which I did. Once I saw the spear without the column on it aimed right at my heart, I thought I'm too aggressive in my driving to have this, so I opted for the illusion that a collapsable steering column could compensate for my mesolimbic dopamine habit. Unfortunately, 6 years later i fouled the collapsable steering with an EPAS install which still BTW has SOME colapsability built into it by design, just not as much.

So there you have it, don't jump unless you want to jump off the cliff and go for it. Your reasoning to do so is ill founded, as GT says, it won't change anything - I can vouch for this before and after on the same car. Your car has issues that need to be addressed, a rag joint with its own failure mode is not a real improvement. When I went to EPAS I got rid of the rag in favor of a knuckle...

M
M,
The 1967 1" power steering pitman is the same as the 65 66 V8 pitman, and will fit on a 1967 short shaft box.

SMB-C short shaft 1" manual box
SMB-E short shaft 1" power box

Both of these will work with the 65 66 V8 pitman.

The boxes are hard to find. I had one custom built for a customer, not cheap.

The SMB-K, 1 1/8" workhorse 67 - 70 power , are very common, and often in good shape, as they were common and power steering was not flogged as hard. Using a 1967 - 1970 power steering pitman, they fit exactly onto a 1965 1966 either power steering or manual steering. Same ratio as the HCC-AX or HCC-AW, 4 to one, power steering or "quick turn" manual steering, versus the HCC-AT, 5 turn vanilla manual box. You then use the 1968 steering column. There was an article years ago in Mustangs and Fords, step by step how to do the changeover. I have sold several of these for conversions.
bob1,

thanks for all follow up and especially for all the related part numbers, great info. I will chase down the M&F article for the installation details.
Thank you,

Pat

·
Premium Member
10,775 Posts
There are 8 different boxes for 67. Some early 67 was short shaft and 1" pitman shaft and that will work. I bought on from Memory Lane in the 90's. I sold it. You could also have the 66 shaft cut and splined. And thats if you are using manual steering. Iirc the 68-70 PS idler arm is a different length then the 65-66 idler arm and bolts to the center link different.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are 8 different boxes for 67. Some early 67 was short shaft and 1" pitman shaft and that will work. I bought on from Memory Lane in the 90's. I sold it. You could also have the 66 shaft cut and splined. And thats if you are using manual steering. Iirc the 68-70 PS idler arm is a different length then the 65-66 idler arm and bolts to the center link different.
Ss2,

thanks, who knew 8 different boxes.
thought about the cut and spine on my current shaft, but rather go with a quick turn manual setup while I am at it.
thanks again.

Pat

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
There is 9 boxes for these. Mell of hess at best.

SMB A 1" long shaft 19 to 1
SMB B 1" long Shaft 16 to 1
SMB C 1" short shaft 19 to 1
SMB E 1" short shaft 16 to 1

SMB D 1 1/8" short shaft 19 to 1
SMB F 1 1/8" short shaft 16 to 1 (GT set at 15 inch pds)
SMB H 1 1/8" long shaft 19 to 1
SMB J 1 1/8" long shaft 16 to 1
SMB K 1 1/8" short shaft 16 to 1

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is 9 boxes for these. Mell of hess at best.

SMB A 1" long shaft 19 to 1
SMB B 1" long Shaft 16 to 1
SMB C 1" short shaft 19 to 1
SMB E 1" short shaft 16 to 1

SMB D 1 1/8" short shaft 19 to 1
SMB F 1 1/8" short shaft 16 to 1 (GT set at 15 inch pds)
SMB H 1 1/8" long shaft 19 to 1
SMB J 1 1/8" long shaft 16 to 1
SMB K 1 1/8" short shaft 16 to 1
Chock,

Great ifo. Thank You!,

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pat who will spline the steering box shaft??
66Ccoode,

I would think any good machine shop could do it. I would use Cook’s in Long Beach.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts