Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the wiring being different, what else is different between the two years on the complete tach & instrument cluster.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just switched my '67 to a tach dash. You lose the oil pressure gauge and the useless amp gauge. They are both replaced by idiot lights in the tach. The hardest part of the switch-out was figuring out the correct wiring and how to get the idiot light for the alternator to work. The oil pressure light is simple. Let me know if I can help. I have a few web sites I can send you with diagrams.
Anthony

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Best I know between 67/68. Only a 289K code mtr got the 8k tach. Even my '67 390GT got the 6k tach. But in '68 they all used 8k tach. Wiper switch lever diff., High beam indicator for '67 just a hole, '68 had the running pony over the indicator lite.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
My 67 GT 350 has no RED line for the danger zone. I've seen other Shelbys like this. I've also seen other Mustangs like this. I don't know the when or the why of the redline at all.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
My 67 GT 350 has no RED line on the Tach face for the danger zone. I've seen other Shelbys like this. I've also seen other Mustangs like this. I don't know the when or the why of the redline at all.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,723 Posts
In addition to the other posts, one thing I can recall is that for '68, the seat belt warning light is built into the instrument bezel just inboard of the right turn signal indicator light. For '67 the seat belt warning light is hung under the dash below the ashtray.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basically, I shouldn't have any problems converting my 67 cluster over to a 68 then?. I was planning on using it on my California Special. I am installing a late model 5.0 with a 5 speed and Paxton in it as well, so I was hoping to keep the dash area clutter free as best as possible with aftermarket gauges.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Basically, I shouldn't have any problems converting my 67 cluster over to a 68 then?. I was planning on using it on my California Special. I am installing a late model 5.0 with a 5 speed and Paxton in it as well, so I was hoping to keep the dash area clutter free as best as possible with aftermarket gauges.
If you're putting a 67 cluster into a 68, you'll have to use a 68 tach dash harness or rework the wiring.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Best I know between 67/68. Only a 289K code mtr got the 8k tach. Even my '67 390GT got the 6k tach. But in '68 they all used 8k tach. Wiper switch lever diff., High beam indicator for '67 just a hole, '68 had the running pony over the indicator lite.
My '68 with a 302 came with the 6k tach. I believe it was simply an option as I've seen '68's with both.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I had a 68 GT fastback (302-4V) that came with a factory tach. It was a 6 grand tach.

The 8 grand tach in my 67 GT350 has the "redline" warning stripe starting at 6000 rpm.

My 68 GT vert (factory 428 CJ) came with an 8 grand tach, which was optional with an automatic. I can't remember if there is a redline on it or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.