Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello dave48 here. old guy 71yrs. been lucky enough to own 65 convertable, 66 coupe, and have owned 2 1971 mercury comets never lost my love for ford power. once i hit 70 yrs in went into my second child stage and found a 68 mustang coupe, it has a 351 windsor t-5 trans and posi rearend . car is original Georgia ,6 cylinder car, converted to v8 in the mid 90's. This old girl has manual steering which is not good for old farts , so anyone have a complete power steering unit for sale..thanks Dave48

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Welcome to the VMF Dave and congrats on your 68 and finding your second childhood. :) I'd contact Dan at Chockostang for your Power Steering. Here's a link to his site: http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/
He is however getting ready to go into hibernation for the winter, so you may want to get ahold of him soon
Post some pictures when you get a chance.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi Dave, don't have one for sale you'd want, but have experience installing it (came with purchase). I'm 41 and on my second childhood 2nd Mustang too ;) 20 years ago I had a Mustang. I'm back at it with a 68' Coupe.

So it's a bit pricey but if you're starting fresh there are nice options out there to go to elecric steering, and these Borgeson units people covert to. Pros/Cons always I hear. I'll warn ya.....if you're going to OE old school power assist style steering 1968 style they are pigs for leaking. My first two pumps failed before I got a solid. My new lines leaked and leaked and leaked. Lots of tightenting and even tape on the threads. I did beat it all! Only for it to start leaking again from the power steering control valve, the one next to the tie rod on driver side (the new one). A Ford mechanic who owns a classic Mustang looked at is saw the slow drip said don't try to fix it you'll NEVER get it to stop leaking completely, (aka be thankful for a slow drip). He might be right...but I'll find a way eventually :) if I had to do it all over I'd check out better options especially the electric steering.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 68 with factory power steering and I am thinking in the near future of going to epas so I will have everything for sale. I just rebuilt the ram and control valve and have 0 miles on them as the car is not really driveable yet. I have a 5.0 HO in the car so it has a late style pump and factory hoses with the end changed. Box is original and doesn't leak. Keep me in mind if you don't find something in the next month or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts