Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will a stock 9" rear from a 67-70 mustang bolt into a 71-73 mustang,"Is it a bolt in deal ? Are the spring perches in same location?" About an inch difference in width? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Google says they all have a 43" center to center spring width.

Width is 59.25" for 67-70, 71-73 is 61.25".

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that, just want to make sure there are no other issues when swapping, Thanks.

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Width is different, but it'll bolt right in. Might be issues with driveshaft length and/or u-joints mating depending on what is currently in the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car is a 9", but I THINK the housing is bent, still checking that out, if it is I'd like to go with a 67-70 to pick up a little more tire room.

·
Premium Member
11,445 Posts
if it is I'd like to go with a 67-70 to pick up a little more tire room.

The narrower rear end will not increase the "tire room". It will only change the backspace requirement for the wheels to keep the tire centered in the wheel house. With the narrower rear end you can use wheels with less backspace for that "deep dish" look that was popular in the 60's and 70's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A narrower rear will move the wheel/tire in, which means less sticking out pass the wheel lip. I did the same on my GTO and can now run little wider tire underneath the car. Just wasn't sure on the mustang whether the 70 rear would bolt in without mods. Hemikiller is confident it'll work, so I'll give it a try and post results. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Check yoke length style if you don't care to change drive shaft at this time. Then again, if going Moser housing, you're likely moving hog head over?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts