Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences between the upper control arms that have the 4 bolt ball joint vs. the uppper control arm that has 3 bolt ball joint?

I took my arms apart last night and I have one of both!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
For '67-'70 UCA the number of bolts on the ball joints is the only difference. Both type are dimensionally the same. It's been said that the change over was mid-year in '69. Prior to that all the UCA had 4 bolt ball joints, after that they all had 3 bolt. In reality the assembly line used which ever type they had on hand. Apparently the supply of UCA changed over gradually according to what ever the supplier provided to Ford and during the change over period both types of UCA were available on the assembly line so some cars ended up with 1 of each. I've heard of this happening on some '68 models as well as '69 and '70 models so the new 3 bolt UCA had to be available while the '68 models were still in production and 4 bolt supplies lasted into the '70 production run. I actually bought a used original set from a '69 so I could use the 4 bolt wedge kit I had and it turned out be 1 of each type of ball joint.

Not many people are aware of this but the '71-'73 UCA are actually just a little longer than the earlier UCA. They are all 3 bolt and completely interchangable with the earlier UCA so rather than tool up for such a minor change most suppliers offer just 1 UCA to cover all the '67-'73 models. Just thought I'd add that little bit of trivia to finish of the differences you asked about. ;)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Rickmaan,

Since you seem to be a UCA expert, do you happen to know the differences between 65-66 and 67+?

I know the later ones are slightly longer (~.1"?) and that the shaft has a different bolt spacing, but are there any other differences?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The width of the early UCA are also a little narrower which goes with the shorter shaft and it's narrower bolt spacing. That and the slightly shorter overall length is all the difference I know of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts