Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am restomodding anyway, what are the modern options for installing an AC compressor. My car has the factory in dash (not under dash) AC system and I would like to shed some weight by not reusing the original compressor.

I prefer to keep my ford using ford parts and am updating to the R134 freon while I am at it.

has anyone changed the compressor to something modern and a little more weight consicuous?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I think there was a post a couple of days ago on the Sanden vs York compressors. Classic Auto Air sells a conversion kit to bolt the sanden in place of the original compressor. It's lighter and also uses less power.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
IIRC there were two factory compressors used, Tecumseh (sp?) which is cast iron, and York which is aluminum. Classic Auto Air srongly recommends their Sanden compressor conversion for daily driven vintage Mustangs. Since the Alumimum compressor is light to begin with, I'm not sure what the actual weight savings might be with the Sanden. I'm still trying to figure out which way to go myself. Many modern "American" cars have a/c compressors made in Japan [Sanden & Nippondenso]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts