Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve haven‘t messed With this car for a few years and am now second guessing my alternator wiring.

I have looked up wiring diagrams and pics, but don’t really see an alt like mine with the two red terminals and also I don’t seem to have a wire going to the white “stator” terminal.
sorry for the bad pic of the wiring..
here’s how it was wired:
Large black wire went to the red (Bat) terminal
the white wire was connected to the red (FLD)? Terminal
the small black wire was not connected. (probably should have been grounded)
nothing was connected to the white (Stator?) terminal.

am I ok just putting it back the way it was, and connecting the small ground lead?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
What engine do you have and do you have a factory tach?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
car is a C code 289 without a factory tach.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Nothing goes on the stator terminal.

The small wire goes to ground, you should also have a wire in the alt harness that grounds to the block.

Your alt light must work for the alternator to work.

Make sure all you grounds are making good contact. Alt to block, head to firewall, battery to engine. I usually add an additional block to frame or battery to frame ground cable.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes there is a lead on the alternator harness that goes to the block.

i am not sure what you mean by “alt light must work” ?

my 67 does not have an alt light. Those are on the GT tach cluster right? The non tach cars have a voltage guage. (Which has never worked on any of the three 67 mustangs I have Owned)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@67gta289

Thanks, that does help. Funny how that page does not show the ‘35’ wire on the legend. I think that’s the white one.

the terminal layout on the alt in the pic looks nothing like mine, ...which is why I am second guessing things.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Here's some other 'maybe helpful' diagrams - one with ammeter and one with tach/idiot light.
EDIT: These diagrams do NOT show connectors so be careful where the wires may wonder around the various harnesses. For instance, the 15 ohm resister shown with the idiot light is not with the bulb but is somewhere in one of the harnesses.

Alternator Wiring.jpg Alternator Wiring Gauge.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts