Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a complete '68 tach setup (8K & trip/clock). Problem - I own a '67 coupe.
Will somebody tell me the difference between the two as far as wiring goes? Will somebody send me a picture of the back '67 shell?
I have the Mustang Monthly 10/99 which goes into detail on how to install the tach without spending a small fortune for the harness. One way or the other a tach is going in this car. I really don't want to butcher up a perfect 8K tach/trip setup.

32stangs
email - [email protected]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm no wiring expert, but here's how mine is. And I have the same: speedo w/trip-8k tach set up. 67's and 68's should be the same. A heavier gauge red wire comes out of the tach and connects to the combo of a red w/yellow stripe and a redw/gray stripe; the black heavy gauge from the tach connects to a black-sheathed heavy gauge pink wire. It's not part of the gang plug.
Hope that helps.

http://usn.tripod.com/mustang.GIF

"Sometimes a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information."-The man with no name

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
The 67 and 68 metal shell in the back are interchangable with minor variation so you can mount your 67 bezel onto the shell. I haven't read the MM article, but the rearrangement of the connectors on the back is straight forward, as well as the splicing into the coil lead for the tach. Now, if your Tach/speedo is from a Cougar the shell is definitely different. The cougar has a different mounting depth for the upper gauges. In this case you'll have to modify the Mustang shell with the tach bucket from the Cougar. A little bit of work, but works out fine (been there, done that)

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
4,129 Posts
The tach hookup is very easy. The coil wire is easy to find because it is the pink resistance wire. You need to cut it and add a male and female plug. I think that it makes a difference which end goes to the tach plugs. I would do a test of the tach before I started soldering wires. Now with the loss of your amp and oil pressure gauges you might consider some aftermarket ones. Do understand that the wiring harness for the tach is different from the standard harness. The basic difference is the amp and oil pressure idiot lights. The alternator connection is also different. fd

1967 GT coupe been in my garage since 1974
1993 Ranger ExtCab 4.0L daily driver
1996 Aerostar wifes ride
Those that know it all are willing to learn something new, those that think that they know it all don't know anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts