Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my car (6 years ago), the guy had just replaced the dash pad with an original used one he found at a junkyard or something. It wasnt in perfect condition, but it wasnt bad. It matchd pretty well with my doorpanels (Aqua(Turqoise) 2 tone interior). Since then it has warped severly, and discolored.

So, I just bought a brand new one from mustangs unlimited who is a dealer for dashes direct. I ordered 67 aqua and thats what they sent, but it just doesnt seem to match up much with my doorpanels like the old one. It looks like it has a little gray in it, and the texture is much more than my old one (pretty much smooth).

So which is normal, because dashes direct says they are certified by MCA as correct. Was my old one just wayyy too old and lost all its texture & color. Or is my new one just not that dead on?

thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
One thing I've learned during the restoration of my '67 aqua interior fastback is that Aqua must be a very hard color to reproduce.
Between the discoloration of the original colors, the different Aqua's from various vendors, and differences in materials, you'll probably never get perfectly matching colors.

I ordered must my interior stuff (carpet, headliner, doorpanels, upholstery and kickpanels) from Mustangs Unlimited. The kickpanels weren't even close, there was a noticable color difference between the floor carpet, and the carpet for the folddown seat.
The supposedly MCA approved deluxe doorpanels from Dashes Direct are produced in light Aqua, while they should be dark Aqua. Dashes Direct are aware of this mistake, but chooses not to do anything about it. There's a lengthy thread on the subject on fomoco.com : http://fomoco.com/mustang-forum/reply.asp?ID=76944&Reply=76944

As to your dash question; my fastback still has it's original aqua dash, and I'm glad it's in perfect condition. It does have a simular texture as the metal interior part of the doors, just quite a bit smoother. I have pictures if you want.

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
I replaced my dash about 2 years ago with one from NPD. I was pretty happy with both the color and fit. As far as being MCA approved, my guess is that all that means is that you won't have any points dedeucted...doesn't mean that it's correct color, finish or anyhting else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts