Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening everyone.

As I mentioned in my post last week, I am bringing home my step-dad's '67 vert soon - as in this Saturday. It leaks tranny fluid real bad and I want to be able to drive the car onto a car dolly so I will most likely need to pour in a few quarts of fluid so that I can drive the car a few feet. So I have a few more questions.

What is the tranny fluid capacity of a '67 auto tranny? Are these tranny's C4's? It is behind a 289.

What type of tranny fluid does it use? I'm guessing the old Dexron, but maybe something newer will work just as well.

What is the recommended procedure for checking & filling the fluid? For example, does the car have to be running?

Any other tips you want to throw my direction would be greatly appreciated.

And as a sidebar, my folks had a local shop work on the leak when it first appeared a couple of years ago. Mom said they spent over $1,200 getting the leak fixed, but doesn't have any idea what the shop did. The car then sat for 6+ months and the leak reappeared. This is a big leak. They took the car back to the shop who said they fixed it again, but guess what, it still leaks. I don't know if it only leaks when it sits for long periods of time, or if it is always a leaker. Guess I'll be finding out soon. Are these trannys known to leak? I would like to talk to the guys who worked on the tranny, but I would be willing to bet that they will be closed when I pick the car up Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, if you could help me out I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
470 Posts
The tranny is probably a C4. The leak is probably the torque converter draining down and leaking out the dip stick tube hole. C4's tend to do this when they sit for a while. If the engine will run the tranny pump will fill up the converter and the fluid level will get below the dip stick tube hole. You can then add type F fluid to the cold mark. That's about 1/2 qt low on the stick. If it is leaking out the dip stick tube hole, a new O-ring on the dip stick tube and a bead of silicone above the O-ring will cure the leak. Clean up the hole so it's dry before reinstalling the dip stick tube. I doubt it will need much more than a qt or so of fluid to bring it up to a driving level.

Doug

·
Registered
860 Posts
Fluid = Type F
Transmission = C4
Fluid Cap = 9 quarts
Fluid check = car must be running and in park. You may have to pull the dipstick out a few time to get a good reading.

If the car has been sitting for a while (few months) the fluid that is in the torque convertor may have drained back into the pan which can only hold so much, there is a vent tube on the side which allows excess fluid to drain out. If you just see some fluid on the pan it is one of three things, pan gasket leak, O-ring in dipstick tube, shifter seal. Other leak spots, speedo cable O-ring, rear seal (your see fluid leak towards rear of transmission). If you see the leak in front of the bell housing then it is a front seal.
Best thing to do spray some gunk off and give the transmission a good clean. Then get under and watch for the leak.
C4 transmission are leakers, I have been tracking down my leak for month and with luck and dougs64 advice above I may be leak free this weekend. :clap:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Aussie said:
Lots of good info deleted...

C4 transmission are leakers
Hmm...
C4's are not inherently "leakers" IMHO, any more than other 40 year old transmissions. Properly rebuilt they will not leak at all. Other areas besides the ones listed above are:

1) the transmission pan itself. These are often over tightened which both deforms the pan around the bolt holes and squeezes the gaskets. The pans can be reconditioned easily.

2) the seal around the gear selector shaft

3) the vacuum modulator.

The posts above are probably correct though regarding the dipstick tube...

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, guys. Thanks for the tips. Best case scenario is the torque convertor draining down and then leaking out around the dipstick tube o-ring. Yeah, that's the ticket.

But if not, with all of your suggestions I will get it figured out.

Also, when I go about checking & adding fluid, do I need to move the gear selector through the gears or just leave it in park?

And another question, since the torque convertors tend to drain down when the car sits for a while, what do you guys do when you have to park the cars for the winter?

Thanks again,

Scott

Should have it home in 48 hours. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
start the car & let it warm up. move the selector thru the gears. then check the fluid level. i usually start mine every couple of weeks but if you fix the leaks right you should not have to worry too much.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The C4 in my vert leaked out that hole whenever it was parked for a while (Colorado winters). New O-ring, silicone sealer above the O-ring and no more leaks. I also applied silicone sealer around the tube where it mates with the hole after reinstalling the tube. Just make sure the surfaces are clean and dry with no tranny fluid on the surfaces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts