Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 auto with dual exhaust that has all the park brake cables and pieces removed. Would this be an issue with the exhaust possibly? I can send pics if needed. Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Maybe the stuff was removed because it froze up,this is very common. The cables have a tendenacy to rust up and bind. This is not the worst thing in the world as all of the part are available new and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured that. So if a lazy muffler man cut it out I guess I have to remove the pipes and start fresh? Where exactly does that piece go that is welded to the floor pan?

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
I figured that. So if a lazy muffler man cut it out I guess I have to remove the pipes and start fresh? Where exactly does that piece go that is welded to the floor pan?
There are two pieces welded to the floor. Lack of an emergency brake is illegal in any state I know of.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Do the modern direct fit Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc kits stay away from parking brakes? Mine was disconnected too because of 80s dual exhaust. Thankfully they just tucked the cables into the seat pan and under carpet etc.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I don't know anything about my vintage Mustang having an emergency brake.

I know my Mustang has a parking brake.

Where is this emergency brake thing?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts

Emergency brake? LOL! Many of the 50s, 60s and early 70s were barely parking brake. If properly set up the parking brake would hold on a 10% grade.

I've been a rust belter most of my life. Around here the parking brake cables are eliminated because they're rusted solid!

·
Registered
35,848 Posts

Call it anything you like, you're legal toast if you don't have one.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
you're legal toast if you don't have one.
That is not true at all.

The repercussion of not having a functioning parking brake is that the vehicle, after a sale, cannot be registered as FIT and therefore the new owner cannot drive it on the street.

A nonfunctioning parking brake is in the same bag as a nonworking horn, cracked windshield, worn tires, etc. No legal toast about it. All of these issues simply need to be fixed.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Call it anything you like, you're legal toast if you don't have one.
Not my opinion...my real life experience. First licensed in Indianapolis Indiana. Before licensing they checked everything but the ashtrays and parking brake. Illinois checked the least...lights and safety belts. Wisconsin was as thorough as Indiana but also had periodic roadside stop and check. Have never had one of my all but two 10-45 year old cars checked for parking brake!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
None in Ga either, not that I've had to go through, and it's been registered in my name for quite a while now. I think they just assume everything is outdated, and irrelevant... and you know about assuming. Less hassles for me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never- all they care about is the VIN number and if the car has been chopped up or stolen. State guys come out and inspect it but never look for mechanical issues.
This car came from GA and it looks like your guys do the same thing- sign off on the VIN.

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
NC requires no inspections for cars over 30 years old- real smart, huh?
When I lived in FL there was no inspection at all. FL claimed there was no difference in accident rate due to equipment than in states with inspection. I can remember when PA required inspection 2x/year. What a pain. When they changed to once, the safety nuts claimed people would die in droves. Never happened.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Florida still does not have any vehicle inspections.

When I lived in FL there was no inspection at all. FL claimed there was no difference in accident rate due to equipment than in states with inspection. I can remember when PA required inspection 2x/year. What a pain. When they changed to once, the safety nuts claimed people would die in droves. Never happened.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts