Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a rebuilt brake/clutch assembly for my 67, and I noticed several differences from my original (4 speed, HiPO, power brakes).

The clutch pedal on the rebuilt unit (on the right in the pic below) does not have the "side arm" linkage connection that my original has (on the left in the pic below).

The Osborn Assembly Manual and the Shop Manual both have the "side arm" depicted for the 67 year, but I have noticed that the clutch linkage rod connects to the z-bar at greater than a right angle when connected to the clutch pedal with the "side arm".... it seems that the rebuilt unit without the "side arm" will connect to the z-bar at something closer to a right angle (I haven't installed it yet).

What have you guys seen in your 67's?

Is the clutch pedal without the "side arm" applicable to another year?

Thanks.

wjj

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I have mine apart and will check, but I'm pretty sure my clutch pedal looks like the one on the right. Mine's a 68 though, and not a Hipo.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sigtauenus said:
I have mine apart and will check, but I'm pretty sure my clutch pedal looks like the one on the right. Mine's a 68 though, and not a Hipo.
Thanks for checking it out.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Comparing the two photos, they look functionally identical.

The new one, instead of having the side arm, bends away from the support sooner so that the side arm is not necessary. Notice how it's stop arm is longer because it has to reach farther.

The old pedal comes straight down first and then swings to the left eventually. The new one immediately "takes a 90" left, then straight down, and picks up the pushrod without needing a side arm.

I think the new one is the improved design over the old one. I bet the clutch pushrod attachment points are the same (in space).

I have no personal experience - I just see this in the photos.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Send me a PM if you haven't figured it out. I have mine apart and it's from a 69 mach 1.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I seem to remember that mine has the side arm. I'd have to drive out to the car and check. But I think what you have is a '68 style hanger, that made room for the collapsible column that became standard that year.

Hope it helps. I can drive out and take a look/pictures tomorrow if you like.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bashed68 said:
I bet the clutch pushrod attachment points are the same (in space).
I did not notice that before...you're right...the clutch rod would connect at the same place (in space) on each hanger.

SpareTime said:
I think what you have is a '68 style hanger, that made room for the collapsible column that became standard that year.
I believe you are correct...there is more wiggle room in between the brake & clutch pedals.

Thanks, guys

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I just checked and mine does indeed look like the one on the right, and mine is a 68.

Also, does your car have power brakes?

Look at the attachment points to the firewall. The one on the left has holes for the studs on the booster to go through to the inside of the car and get nuts, while the one on the right looks like one for manual brakes where the bolts go through to the nuts welded to the hangar.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sigtauenus said:
I just checked and mine does indeed look like the one on the right, and mine is a 68.

Also, does your car have power brakes?

Look at the attachment points to the firewall. The one on the left has holes for the studs on the booster to go through to the inside of the car and get nuts, while the one on the right looks like one for manual brakes where the bolts go through to the nuts welded to the hangar.
Yeh...I had to knock off three of the bushings to receive the studs from my booster.

The one I bought was not as I bid/ordered (67 with power brakes)...oh well.

Interesting to note that a lot of the rebuilt units were originally automatics; they have nice round holes for that hanger pivot rod thingy, and have not been "Ovaltined" by aggressive clutch shifting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts