Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on what paint (i.e., semi gloss?) to use to repaint the black textured areas on the metal center pieces?

Next, on the plastic console body and my deluxe seat back shells and lower trim I used the SEM plastic prep and was preparing to use the SEM Black Satin paint I purchased from NPD. The instructions recommended using another one of their products, a plastic adhesion promoter. Necessary?

My seat back shells have some minor cracks around the mounting points that are not obvious from the outside but were visible after I was wiping off the paint prep. Any advice on putting some sort of patch on the inside to provide reinforcement?

Lastly, my center trim pieces are pitted. Any experience with the appliques? I see NPD offers a self adhesive mylar and the Burton stamped aluminum products. I would be inclined to go with the latter. How is the fit & finish of these products?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I used the SEM Dark Blue vice semi gloss black for the console center pieces, as I was more curious as to how it would look with my blue two tone deluxe interior. I was happy with the results and recommend any of the SEM colors.

The surface prep stuff that they recommend is a definite for any vinyl products, as it helps to ensure that the paint has a good tooth to adhere to, but the plastic or metal should be easy and will not require that. I scuffed my surfaces with a used scotchbrite pad just to give a little texture to stick to.

Seat backs can be fortified inside with any type of bondo glass, epoxy, or other filler. I would recommend the bondo glass, as it will hold up well to putting a little tension on the panel when it is attached to the seat brackets.

On my console, I went to home depot and bough a roll of the stainless flashing that thye seel for roofing. I cut it to fit all the sections of the console base, ashtray, face and tranny plate and was quite impressed with myself. It cost me $10 for the roll and about 3-4 hours of time to do it, but the Burton stuff is nice but way overpriced IMHO. I paid like $35 for the (2) pieces that go on the center a/c register and the pass side register. Completely up to on which way to go, but I went cheap just for curiousity and was happy to save some money too. PM me your email address is you want any pics.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Any opinions on what paint (i.e., semi gloss?) to use to repaint the black textured areas on the metal center pieces?
I use Krylon 1613, let id dry for a few days, then buff by hand with a soft cotton cloth.

Next, on the plastic console body and my deluxe seat back shells and lower trim I used the SEM plastic prep and was preparing to use the SEM Black Satin paint I purchased from NPD. The instructions recommended using another one of their products, a plastic adhesion promoter. Necessary? SEM plastic prep is all you need.

My seat back shells have some minor cracks around the mounting points that are not obvious from the outside but were visible after I was wiping off the paint prep. Any advice on putting some sort of patch on the inside to provide reinforcement? I used fiberglass and epoxy to repair cracks on in the console, and in my seat side trim pieces, don't see why it would not work on the seat back.

Lastly, my center trim pieces are pitted. Any experience with the appliques? I see NPD offers a self adhesive mylar and the Burton stamped aluminum products. I would be inclined to go with the latter. How is the fit & finish of these products? No experience with the stick-ons. I sent mine out and had them rechromed.

Thanks for your time.
See note above.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used semi-gloss black Plasti-Cote paint, scuffing the surface with a 3M scotch brite pad first. Turned out great. Be careful attempting to polish the trim pieces, I tried and they ended up looking worse. Simply cleaning them would have been better. I had someone with an electric vinyl cutter create the pieces that go over the lights near the shifter, I have a couple extra if you need one. I could never find a replacement for the ashtray, if any knows where I can get the spring mechanism, please let me know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts