Used krylon semi-gloss.. seems like a pretty good match.
this is not the same top plate as in the pics above. That one had a couple holes drilled into the top, so I am cleaning up a spare I got For this project.
1) cleaned with soapy water and a toothbrush
2) wiped it down with acetone really well
3) carefully taped it off
4) sprayed with 2-3 light coats of semi gloss black.
Can anyone confirm that the special “windlace” trim w the fused ends is supposed to be used on both the passenger and driver side. Both my restored 67 (red) console and my spare (parts) console seem to have a tag of plastic there that prevents putting that trim in place. I spent a while tracking down a “pair” of these in red, and now I can remember only seeing close up pics of the passenger side.
see how the trim fits fine on the passenger side, But there is plastic in the way on the drivers side.
Another subtle mod to the shifter/console: when using the scott Drake leather shifter boot, you get a bit of a gap between the boot and console shifter hole. Another poster here had some success correcting this with a 3/4” spacer.
In the spirit of over-engineering almost everything I do.. here is the 3D printed spacer I made to raise up the shifter boot and eliminate the gap.