Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what type of paint to use on the black camera texture finish for a 67 console?

·
Registered
926 Posts
For parts like that I think that Krylon Industrial semi-flat black, K01613A07, works best. Easy to work with, durable, dries pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used krylon semi-gloss.. seems like a pretty good match.
this is not the same top plate as in the pics above. That one had a couple holes drilled into the top, so I am cleaning up a spare I got For this project.

1) cleaned with soapy water and a toothbrush

2) wiped it down with acetone really well
3) carefully taped it off

4) sprayed with 2-3 light coats of semi gloss black.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is some very minor pitting on the stainless sections. I havnt decided if I want to try the new stainless overlay, or just leave it as as is.

does anyone know If the new overlay goes right over top of the original? Or do you have to remove the old stainless somehow? **It doesn’t look removable.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Painted the radio / face plate, and put it back together.

I didn’t have the special windlace trim, so I just used some pieces of standard red I had left over.

here jt is back together, and ready to install.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have the special windlace trim for the console PM me if interested. John

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone confirm that the special “windlace” trim w the fused ends is supposed to be used on both the passenger and driver side. Both my restored 67 (red) console and my spare (parts) console seem to have a tag of plastic there that prevents putting that trim in place. I spent a while tracking down a “pair” of these in red, and now I can remember only seeing close up pics of the passenger side.

see how the trim fits fine on the passenger side, But there is plastic in the way on the drivers side.

·
Registered
926 Posts
This is a picture of one original that I have - I have had several and all look like this, or very similar
The driver's side needs to be trimmed to look like pass side.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did these all make it through production without being trimmed?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the console and shifter back in. It’s getting close to being ready for the road again.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another subtle mod to the shifter/console: when using the scott Drake leather shifter boot, you get a bit of a gap between the boot and console shifter hole. Another poster here had some success correcting this with a 3/4” spacer.
In the spirit of over-engineering almost everything I do.. here is the 3D printed spacer I made to raise up the shifter boot and eliminate the gap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts