Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I'm planning on converting my manual convertible top to a power top.

Does anyone have a photo showing the location of the harness penetration (hole) through the firewall?

From the wiring schematics, I can see the harness routes down the drivers side engine bay apron, but it's unclear where the penetration is. Any help, and or photos are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Unless you're referring to a different harness, the power convertible wire harness doesn't come through the firewall.

It runs from the convertible top switch on the dash, down the inner kick panel on the driver's side, across the driver's side rocker channel to the back of the car (up the inner wheel well on the driver's side to the motor that is mounted on the rear shock panel).

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
My 67 vert is sleeping in my enclosed trailer. But IIRC when I restored mine, I looked at a few unrestored verts to do mine. Power feed from switch to engine bay might be going thru upper corner of the driver side, side panel next to firewall. Then into engine bay, around shock, following the rest of headlight harness.
I'll try to look at it this weekend to be sure.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks IDSRVIT - but what you've described is the harness from the switch to the pump motor. I'm chasing the penetration location for the feed to the switch, which comes from the battery side of the starter solenoid (routed across the radiator support bracket, along the driver's side apron, then into cabin to connect to the switch - refer attached).

Cheers,

j.b.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Bergs000 : I believe that I have just what you are looking for. I have detailed pictures from the firewall all the way to the Starter solenoid, that show all routing, wire clips, junction block and the resistor wire from the junction block to the Starter solenoid on my factory power top on my '67. However, I won't be able to pull them out and put together in a sequence that makes sense until tonight, so if you can "hold on", I think they will give you all you need to know, and what parts you'll need to find.

Bob

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bergs000 : I believe that I have just what you are looking for. I have detailed pictures from the firewall all the way to the Starter solenoid, that show all routing, wire clips, junction block and the resistor wire from the junction block to the Starter solenoid on my factory power top on my '67. However, I won't be able to pull them out and put together in a sequence that makes sense until tonight, so if you can "hold on", I think they will give you all you need to know, and what parts you'll need to find.

Bob

·
Registered
120 Posts
sorry I hit send button on accident.

Mine goes thru the firewall, next to the hoses for the windshield fluid.
There is a grommet to protect the wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Bob - much appreciated.

Cheers

j.b.

Bob

·
Registered
669 Posts
j.b. : Well, here they are. The following pictures (which I'll have to Post in 3 parts because of the quantity), were taken during disassembly of my 67 Convertible. Note that mine was built in Dearborn, on January 31 of 1967. It came with the Factory installed Power Top Option. My Dad purchased this from the Original Owner in 1981, and I got it from him in 1991. After talking with the Original Owner several years ago, I am fairly confident that my Power Top wiring is as it came from the Factory.
I have also included a wiring illustration that shows other parts you will need (grommet, junction block, resistor wire, etc.). Note that where the wire comes out of the firewall, it doesn't come out from a flat part of the firewall, but from a slightly angled "bump" in the firewall. There should be a dimple there showing where you need to drill the hole for the grommet.

Hope this helps.

Bob
0-Conv Power Top Wiring.jpg
1a.JPG
1b.JPG
2.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
7a.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
PART III - Attached Also, yes I realize that there are a lot of duplications in pictures, but more is better than not enough. Note too, that most of the clips that hols the feed wire are existing clips for other wiring.
17.JPG
18.JPG
19.JPG
20.JPG
21.JPG

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent work - thanks Bob - those pictures answer all of my questions re the Convertible Top Power Feed harness, and a lot of others that I've about other items on my car that have been modified by past owner(s).

If the rest of your tear down is as well documented as this, I may need to call on you again in the future.

While my car will never be restored to concours condition - I am a bit partial to putting things back the way they were originally where practical.

Cheers, and thanks again.

J.B.

j.b. : Well, here they are. The following pictures (which I'll have to Post in 3 parts because of the quantity), were taken during disassembly of my 67 Convertible. Note that mine was built in Dearborn, on January 31 of 1967. It came with the Factory installed Power Top Option. My Dad purchased this from the Original Owner in 1981, and I got it from him in 1991. After talking with the Original Owner several years ago, I am fairly confident that my Power Top wiring is as it came from the Factory.
I have also included a wiring illustration that shows other parts you will need (grommet, junction block, resistor wire, etc.). Note that where the wire comes out of the firewall, it doesn't come out from a flat part of the firewall, but from a slightly angled "bump" in the firewall. There should be a dimple there showing where you need to drill the hole for the grommet.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
As posted earlier, I'd go look at my 67 vert in trailer.
I'll start by saying my 67 was a late build, May 1967. It was not an orig power top car, I converted to power top.
That said, as I restored mine back early 2000's, I had bought several "junk mustangs" to get parts, see how orig were put together. So I believe what I did was coping what I saw on other 67/68 stangs. So sharing what I saw & did. No claim to mine being the only way Ford did things as there is always early vs late designs.
My first pic is taken inside driver fender well area. Noting top power coming thru firewall but into tire well area, then thru fender apron.
From there I ran thru open area under hood hinge, then following headlight harness and continues same routing as in other posting pics.
Noting I looked twice at my firewall area where washer pump hoses come out and I don't see any holes or dimples punched.
So not sure why mine is different than other posting, maybe early vs late, his 68, or different plant??

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts