Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions...

1) Does the trunk mat get sandwiched between the floor and trunk liner, on the flat , right behind the rear seat?

2) How is the cardboard trunk divider attached, and is anything sandwiched between it and the trunk mat?

67 NJ convert (10-4-66)

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
I have two questions...

1) Does the trunk mat get sandwiched between the floor and trunk liner, on the flat , right behind the rear seat?

2) How is the cardboard trunk divider attached, and is anything sandwiched between it and the trunk mat?

67 NJ convert (10-4-66)
The cardboard just lays there, and the mat plops on top of it.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
I have two questi

67 NJ convert (10-4-66)
Years ago at a junkyard, pulled what was left of the trunk divider from a hopeless 67 cvt. because the remains of the well liner were attached with phillips head washer screws. The well liner had a hem of what looked like different material to hold the two parts together to the floor. Kept it for reference. Think there were 5 or 6 screws. BTW, it was a Metuchen built car as I took the buck tag also.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cardboard just lays there, and the mat plops on top of it.
Sorry for the lack of a better description.....This is the panel that gets screwed in on the floor behind the gas tank, and fill in between the wheel wells. I think its for convertibles only, and divides the trunk and the well for the top.

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
Oh. Between the steel panel and trunk rods at the top, and screwed at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh. Between the steel panel and trunk rods at the top, and screwed at the bottom.

Ah.... I guess I need to trim the coupe trunk mat. There was talk that the Metuchen cars had the mat under the divider, screwed thru. I believe that is how mine was. I also have a self tap flat phillips on either side of the divider, perhaps for the mat?

Also, I think the seat divider on mine has the holes for the early well liners punched into it. That was confusing me until I noticed they were unused.

Thank you again!

Brian

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
The FAM's for '67 and '68 call out 3 clips at the top of the divider, clipping it to the gutter. Been looking for a photo as the AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners does not list this item.

Not sure if they were ever used or not, none on my '68 when I bought it..

They also show the lower lip of the divider, screwed portion, directed forward, not to the rear. Not sure if this was a factory variation of if they may have found it easier to install facing rearward and installing the screws thru the trunk, rather than down inside the well.... examples here seem to show all facing rearward... anyone got one the other way around they think may have been factory? Mine was long gone when I bought the car...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The FAM's for '67 and '68 call out 3 clips at the top of the divider, clipping it to the gutter. Been looking for a photo as the AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners does not list this item.

Not sure if they were ever used or not, none on my '68 when I bought it..

They also show the lower lip of the divider, screwed portion, directed forward, not to the rear.
Mine was screwed from the rear too. Do you have a part number for the clip? Maybe other convertibles used them???

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Years ago at a junkyard, pulled what was left of the trunk divider from a hopeless 67 cvt. because the remains of the well liner were attached with phillips head washer screws. The well liner had a hem of what looked like different material to hold the two parts together to the floor. Kept it for reference. Think there were 5 or 6 screws. BTW, it was a Metuchen built car as I took the buck tag also.
I found a picture out of the album when I first purchased my car. It showed the well liner screwed down with 4 screws, about .250" behind the cardboard divider, when looking from the trunk of the car. The two center screws were directly behind the center screws of the divider, but not visible with the divider in place. The two outer screws for the well liner were about 3" outward from the outer divider screws. The screws for the divider were on the trunk side, and there were no clips. 10-4-66 build date, Metuchen, NJ

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Clip is called out as 358407-S2. No such number in AMK Guide...

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
Clip is called out as 358407-S2. No such number in AMK Guide...
Summa this stuff was discontinued about 5 minutes after production of the car.
AMK isn't complete, by any means. They don't have the 64-66 package tray screws, either, and these are so obvious you can see them from outside the car.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Summa this stuff was discontinued about 5 minutes after production of the car.
AMK isn't complete, by any means. They don't have the 64-66 package tray screws, either, and these are so obvious you can see them from outside the car.
So, should the top of the panel just rest between the well liner and the trunk rods?

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
So, should the top of the panel just rest between the well liner and the trunk rods?
Yeah, that's all I've ever seen. I found a listing for the clip, and I've never seen one.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
On both of my NJ cars, the flap and screws are to the back. No sign of any clip on either car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts