Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Before purchasing a friends 1967 Convertible Mustang I noticed that the doors wouldn't 100% shut due to the windows not lining up. I've attached a picture but I'm afraid the frame is bending which is causing the windows to overlap. Any insight or tips would help. Thanks

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Hard to say with only that pic, door hinge wear on pins also could cause this. Get a piece of cardboarg and lay down next to door and feel with your hand for rusted away inner rockers ect, A GOOD FLASHLIGHT WILL HELP YOU SEE THE UNDERSIDE OF THE CAR. wES

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to say with only that pic, door hinge wear on pins also could cause this. Get a piece of cardboarg and lay down next to door and feel with your hand for rusted away inner rockers ect, A GOOD FLASHLIGHT WILL HELP YOU SEE THE UNDERSIDE OF THE CAR. wES
Its sitting on dirt which makes it hard to get under because the tires sunk into the ground a little and the engines dead but ill try my best to get under and look around

·
Registered
294 Posts
There are 3 likely culprits. The worst is the rockers are so rusted away that the car is folding in half like a taco (in that case, get your money back from your "friend" and look for a car that is not that far gone. The next worse is the door hinges are shot or the hinge post is rotted away in which case the door is sagging. (reproduction hinges are available. If the hinge post is shot run away unless your welding skills are very good) Lastly, the glass is out of adjustment and the door and quarter glass needs to be re-positioned relative to each other and the top. Time consuming and tedious but not rocket science. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are 3 likely culprits. The worst is the rockers are so rusted away that the car is folding in half like a taco (in that case, get your money back from your "friend" and look for a car that is not that far gone. The next worse is the door hinges are shot or the hinge post is rotted away in which case the door is sagging. (reproduction hinges are available. If the hinge post is shot run away unless your welding skills are very good) Lastly, the glass is out of adjustment and the door and quarter glass needs to be re-positioned relative to each other and the top. Time consuming and tedious but not rocket science. Good luck
My guess is it wouldn't be just the quarter glass that needs to be re-positioned because in the pic, the door is about 1cm down and to the left. Do you have any suggestions on evaluating the hinge post to make sure thats not the case? Lastly, is it possible for the frame to fold in half even without the rockers being rusted?

·
Registered
294 Posts
To your first question: Open the door and look for rust/rot damage where the hinges attach to the door post (aka the "A" pillar). Next, with the door open, lift the door with the exterior door handle. If the hinges are worn, it will be obvious.

To your second question: Keep in mind that the Mustang is a uni-body design. While there are front and rear sub frames, there is no frame in the traditional sense. In the absence of a rigid roof, which is a structural member, the remaining body is somewhat flexible and the reinforced rocker panels are designed to keep the lower body from flexing too much. When the rocker panels are rusted away, gravity can take over eventually causing a sag or worse.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Looks like more of a door problem, adjust the door to line up with body, then check the glass. Dont let it sit in the dirt to long, It;s just bad for them.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would definitely check the undercarriage for rust, but according to the photographs, it looks like the door and quarter glass track runners need to be adjusted. I had the same issue with my 65 convertible. You have to pull the door panels, door jam metal plugs, and interior convertible quarter panels. It's also a good idea to inspect and grease the window regulators. If the car has a power top, I would also recommend inspecting the hydraulics and fluid level in the pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts