Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slowly getting the engine ready to fire and have a few questions about the wiring. In the picture below I have marked 2 items which I am having a problem with.

1) Is the wire that goes to the Convertible motor. It is supposed to terminate at a small terminal, but I am not sure which one. Do I need to get a breaker/terminal extender? I have seen them before, but not sure if I need one.
2) I bought a new main wiring harness for the engine compartment and the red wire, I can not figure out where it terminates?

Last question I have is I purchased the Bracket/Grommet for the starter cable and was not sure where the bracket should be connected too? Can anyone let me know what screw it should attach too?

I was looking back at my old pictures when I was taking the car apart, but the car was so dirty, I can't make out what goes where. Thanks

http://www.3044leavitt.com/wiring.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
#2 goes to the positive side of the solenoid switch; it is one of the two leads for the ammeter.

#1 doesn't look familiar to me, but I don't do convertibles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a 67 conv. and know that the red lead #2 your referring to goes to the positive side of the solonoid.I don't understand your question #1.
My 67 GT frost tourqoise conv. is for sale if you know of anyone interested.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The black wire goes to the front post on the starter solenoid. Check this link out Top diagram 67

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
The convertible top motor wire goes onto a junction block that has a 30 amp fusible link (short wire) that connects to the battery side of the solenoid . Vender's sell it as for 66s , but it was also used on 67s.

http://home.comcast.net/~whitetopcv/wsb/media/190864/site1097.JPG

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Conv top wire like this.... should be holes for the fuse screws or dimples in the metal.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I need to get junction block in order to wire up the convertible top, but since I am a ways away from having to worry about that, I will get to it a little later.

I did get everything wired up and the battery installed. Since I am not ready to start the engine, I did check it out to make sure the starter turned the engine over. Cranked right over. I have some other electrical trouble shooting to do as my driver side courtsey light stays on even when I push in the plunger on the door and the passenger side doesn't come on at all.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hey Dalorzo F, is that little sheetmetal cover screwed over the fusible link a stock piece? I've never noticed one like that before, and my '67 doesn't have it.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
It came with the part. Its not metal but a hard cardboardy-waxy-papery-flappy-doo-dad. I guess metal could cause a short. There were remnants of one on the old part so I stuck it back on.... pretty flimsy...

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
It came with the part. Its not metal but a hard cardboardy-waxy-papery-flappy-doo-dad. I guess metal could cause a short. There were remnants of one on the old part so I stuck it back on.... pretty flimsy...

Not sure where I got it, been a few years, but John's Mustang shows it in the kit...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Fascinating. Mine has always been bare. Although I confess that I have never paid much attention to that part on other cars at shows, I have never seen that on another car.

The way you describe it, it's no wonder I've never seen one. Sounds pretty flimsy.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
That paper thing actually would not have gone over the stud. I don't have a picture handy so I'll try to descibe it. If you fold that paper so it looks like 2 capital V s upside down next to each other that is how it should look. There should be a little flap off each side that the mounting screw goes through. This will form a small recess in the center that the stud goes through and where the two cables are attached.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If it doesn't keep the post from shorting out on something, then what's the purpose of the paper piece?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
What is the purpose for this junction box? My '67 vert did not have one when I bought it, and I plan to put it back on if it serves a purpose.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
james_e said:
If it doesn't keep the post from shorting out on something, then what's the purpose of the paper piece?
It actually does. Because the sides fold up and create a trough it protects anything from bumping into the stud. I have one on the 500 I'm restoring but I'm not going to be @ the shop for a couple weeks. I'll email owner and see if he can snap a pic for me.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
mark_3x67 said:
What is the purpose for this junction box? My '67 vert did not have one when I bought it, and I plan to put it back on if it serves a purpose.
Its a point to connect the fusible link to the top feed wire.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
The part provided is not long enough to "double" Vee and has no hole in the middle to accomodate the center stud (but as we know repros are pretty spotty... and just plain suck in most cases! ;) ).

There was no evidence of the "paper" protector on my "original" under the middle nut, seems folding the protector here would require a second nut over the paper or it would insulate the connection..??? I only found paper bits under the mounting screws of the link piece, but who knows what has happened in ~40 years. '68 Osborne FAM doesn't even show this part, so not even sure if its correct... or another repro fantasy.

Would be interested in a pic of this configuration noted , as it seems a bit tight to get this non-metallic item folded into the space available...

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
dalorzo_f said:
The part provided is not long enough to "double" Vee and has no hole in the middle to accomodate the center stud (but as we know repros are pretty spotty... and just plain suck in most cases! ;) ).
I agree with the repro comments however the piece given will work. I had a NOS one that I borrowed from a friend to copy the folds. I'll get a pic up as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Other question: am I right if I say that you have to replace the wire between the starter relay and the junction if a shortcut occurs in the top circuit?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Thats the idea. The wire between solenoid and junction is fusible link.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts