Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67' was ordered with the HD battery option. I'm assuming because he ordered power top. The PO hit a deer on the passenger front corner damaging the apron and battery tray. It looks like a group 27 battery was the optional battery? We're all the battery trays the same for all the batteries?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Vendors show 67-70 all same tray.
https://www.npdlink.com/search/products?search_terms=battery&top_parent=200001&year=1967

I personally don't think a power top option is reason to have a Group 27 battery (CCA 750). Thought those where for Shelby's with 428 cars because of their bigger front lights.
My 67 has power top with an Autolite group 24 battery (CCA 700), works fine. Had a 55amp alt. When I had my orig alt rebuilt it's now 120 amp.
Battery, Alternator, Ignition/Pertronix, Electrical

I just looked through my 67 options book (if it's correct) and no mention of the HD option, so not sure what it meant.

* I did just look in my Marti "Book by the Numbers" under 67 options, and it shows "Heavy Duty Battery option across all three stang models, so not related to "power top" as I thought.
Maybe if a car had ALL the options???

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
The 1967 Showroom Options Book does show the Heavy Duty Battery (55 amp) as a "stand alone" Option (pictures attached). This Option required a larger Battery Tray than the Standard (45 amp) Battery (see attached from 1960-68 MPC).

This Option also shows up in the 1967 Electrical Assembly Manual (picture attached).

Hope this helps.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The question remains, why would you want/need it? Across all three models?
My spec book does show my 67 390 option with 55 amp alt. but that's it, no reason why.

Where does charts above state what model mustangs?
Did I miss it? maybe...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My spec book does show my 67 390 option with 55 amp alt. but that's it, no reason why.

Did I miss it? maybe...
Because there are places in the USA that get very cold in the winter. A bigger battery may start the car when temperatures are below zero. People still upgrade to bigger batteries.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Did I miss it? maybe...

In the Ford Master Parts Catalogs, an "F" by itself indicates "all models". If there is an exception, it would show something like "F(exc 63)", or "F (76 only)".

Bob

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
As suggested above, cranking a big block can require a hearty battery in some circumstances. Looking at typical factory electrical loads, a '67 did not have thumping stereo amps, super powerful headlights, or electric cooling fans. Other than that, the only '67 factory option that might have a sustained draw would be the integral A/C fan.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone seen a larger battery tray offered as a replacement? I would assume that the hold down bracket and hardware would be the same where only the battery length gets longer instead of wider or taller.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
If I understand things correctly, the group 27F battery was not introduced until 1969. For 1967, the standard battery was a 22F for SB and 24F for the BB. I do not believe a 22F is even reproduced at this point. Referring to what the vendors are currently offering is not the best way to determine what was originally on the car...again, just my understanding and I could certainly be wrong.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Has anyone seen a larger battery tray offered as a replacement? I would assume that the hold down bracket and hardware would be the same where only the battery length gets longer instead of wider or taller.

If you look at the Chart I attached, it shows that for the HD Battery (24F), the hold down clamp, bolt, and brace and bracket are identical to those for the Standard (22F) battery ; only the trays are different.

Bob

·
Registered
449 Posts
If I understand things correctly, the group 27F battery was not introduced until 1969. For 1967, the standard battery was a 22F for SB and 24F for the BB. I do not believe a 22F is even reproduced at this point. Referring to what the vendors are currently offering is not the best way to determine what was originally on the car...again, just my understanding and I could certainly be wrong.
I believe you are correct. I don't think the 22F was ever Reproduced. The 24F was a Factory Option on the 289's (and probably the 6 cylinders also), but with only 30693 being shown as having that Option, definitely not common with some 472,000 + (less the 390's) being produced.

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts