Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to paint my mustang. Do I paint it with the quarter panel emblems in or out of the car? I don't want to ruin a new paint job jockeying the glass and track plate when I'm done. Is there a better way to do this?

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
The lines always look sharper and cleaner to me when painted off the car.

·
Registered
1967 GT500
1,363 Posts
Taking everything off is always cleaner, neater and more professional looking. Unfortunately also more time and money.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
As said best results is car is apart. What shop explained to me, the rear fender extensions & front headlight housings, if you paint car with them on paint goes across seams instead of around the edges. IF you ever have to removed a bolt on part, you'll risk cracking or lifting paint at seams. You'll get better paint coverage if each part painted off car.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
On a 67, the rear quarter window assembly and tracks must come out to remove the qtr emblems. Just be really careful with the glass assembly during assembly to avoid chipping paint, that's the piece that will give you the most trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts