Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, real newbie here. Looking to purchase a 67 coupe. How do I determine the 289 engine code (C, A or K)?

Also, what is a reasonable price range: 86K orig miles, 2nd owner, reasonable orig paint (sage green), little apparent rust, orig interior, small tear on driver seat, only 2 orig hubcaps.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
672 Posts
A 289-4V - 225BHp
C 289-2V - 220 BHp
K 289-4V High Performance - 271 BHp
S 390-4V 320Bhp
T 200-1V

I think I have it now - Work has my noodle fried today...

You have come to the right place for info!! Welcome!

http://my67heven.tripod.com/emsm.gifI was looking for a restoration of fantasy. I do not want my car to be as it was in 1967. I want it to be as I imagined it in 1967. -John Baird
Got Rust? 1967 A-Code Coupe<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by cpc101 on 04/19/01 12:26 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the welcome, and the info.

now - how can I tell which engine is which by popping the hood? And you're talking to a real neophyte here, so I'm not too familiar with engines yet...

thx

·
4,129 Posts
cpc101 made a little typo. He got the "A" and "C" reversed. If it is the original engine still in the car the serial number will tell you. The serial number will start 7R01, the 5th symbol is a letter, and that is the engine code. This serial number can be found in 3 places, under the hood on the drivers side were the fender ends there is a "notch". The number is there. Also on the drivers door is the data plate that gives even more onfo on the car. And last on the registration. fd

1967 GT coupe been in my garage since 1974
1993 Ranger ExtCab 4.0L daily driver
1996 Aerostar wifes ride
Those that know it all are willing to learn something new, those that think that they know it all don't know anything.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
5th digit in vin will tell you what it is supposed to be. By looking at the engine 6 vs 8 is easy count spark plugs *G*. On engine, passenger side near back should be casting number. IIRC c5ae 6015 is close to the number for a 289. Post casting someone will decode

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

·
Registered
672 Posts
This is my A-code the day I brought it home:

http://my67heven.tripod.com/images/engine.jpg

As far as visually identifying, I'm afraid I can't be of much help, this is the only one I get to see. If it will help there are pics of the gradual disassembly of my engine. It may help you figue out what you are looking at.

I'm sure you will get more info as the day rolls on, the guys here are very helpful and knowledgeable..

http://my67heven.tripod.com/emsm.gifI was looking for a restoration of fantasy. I do not want my car to be as it was in 1967. I want it to be as I imagined it in 1967. -John Baird
Got Rust? 1967 A-Code Coupe

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no- the A is a 4v and has 225 HP the c is a 2v but only has 200 hp not 220 - but he did not get them mixed up.

Corpus Christi TX

·
4,129 Posts
Brain Fart!!! I saw an error (220HP C code) and for some reason I thought the A and C got mixed up. Not that this newbie even knows what BHP means or cares.

1967 GT coupe been in my garage since 1974
1993 Ranger ExtCab 4.0L daily driver
1996 Aerostar wifes ride
Those that know it all are willing to learn something new, those that think that they know it all don't know anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts