Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a '67 Coupe that they are parting out with "RUST FREE" A Pillars?

It looks like I am going to have to replace the passengers side from about half way down the windshield post all the way to the rocker. I know CJ's sells them new, but they do not go up far enough to get rid of the rusted out parts and do not include the inner part where the trim pads go on. Mine seems to be rusted in a few spots about half way up the WS post. I may be able to repair the DS, but time will tell. The PS is the worst and has to be replaced.

Please let me know if any of you have any, because I can sure use them.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
This has been on here before-more common than we realize. Put an ad on V-M... 'it's been about 4 years. DID get a pair from two different cars (65-6). installing them is a bit of a pain but it IS doable. As you know they are actually of box section construction. Didn't go all the way to the rocker but spliced a bit furthur up. My MAJOR part was at the bend and toward the top. My car was a cvt and I got cpe panels- cvt is same only without drip rails. Before cutting, made a template of the height of the opening-tracing it on an open manila folder. This gives a foolproof guide but also measured. On the upper part, used pieces of pillar and made bonding strips. 3" in length which was 1 1/2" on the new pillar and original. Drilled holes in them for plug welds and welding them to base part. Maybe over kill but it IS a w/s pillar and do not trust just a butt weld all the way around. Think I made 4 of them for each pillar end. Measure and remeasure! Made strips on the base part also.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Upper and lower cowl and PS kick panel are already out as well as the dash.
Have been practicing my welding by doing the L&R patch panels on the lower cowl pan. Almost ready to install the DS patch. Had to create the relief bulge for the firewall/clutch/brake pedal support. Just need to finish grinding the remaining welds on that an I can weld it to the pan. If it looks like crap when done, I will just order a repop and chalk it up to practice....

I know the pillars will be a big PITA, but they have to be done.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone, Buehler, Buehler......!!!!!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts