Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Car
  • 67 coupe, 289-2V, C4, 2.79 open
  • Red std interior w/console
  • Currently red, factory Whimbeldon white w/ red pin stripes
  • Purchased Oct 2019
Existing Condition
  • Engine runs but needs a rebuild. Is not the original engine, 66 build date stamped on the block (car is a late 67).
  • Interior is in pretty decent condition. Console has some damage.
  • Sheet metal work needed includes floor pans, torque box, floor supports, partial front and rear frame rails, front apron patches, inner/outer rocker patches, trunk drop offs, quarters and outer wheel wells. Quarters were replaced at some point but need another replacement.
The Plan
  • Return the car to its original appearance w/ red pin stripes
  • 351W swap, mild build, stock appearance. I will likely rebuild the 289 at some point and may return it to this car.
  • Interior will get new paint, carpet, door panels and dash pad.
  • Car will be completed in two phases. Phase 1 goal is to get it back on the road for summer 2020 by completing major mechanical and sheet metal work. Phase 2 will be completing the body work/paint and interior.
  • I was initially going to restore this over a much longer period of time but a friend offered up his heated garage so I towed it over and got right to work.

I started this build thread a bit late but I’ll post all progress starting from the beginning of the project.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
P I C T U R E S ! ! !

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Progress to End of 2019
Car sat in my garage for a month then I moved it to a heated garage. Set up the garage for work: cleanup, welder and compressor install. Tear down on the car. 351W short block received from machine shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My plan is to sell the car when it’s completed. Then I’ll start my next project. What engine stays in the car will depend what on a what I want to put in the next one and maybe on what the buyer wants in it.

Definite rustang! The joys of buying a northern car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jan 2020

Things moved pretty slowly. My first time working on a car or welding since my high school days (circa 2000). Just like riding a bike, right? First few welds were quite sloppy but got the job done. Here’s what I completed in Jan:
  • L inner/outer frame rail partial replacement
  • L inner rocker partial replacement
  • L floor support replacement
  • L torque box replacement
Don’t forget, safety first haha

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,756 Posts
My plan is to sell the car when it’s completed. Then I’ll start my next project. What engine stays in the car will depend what on a what I want to put in the next one and maybe on what the buyer wants in it.

Definite rustang! The joys of buying a northern car.

Why the rush to sell once it’s completed?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I enjoy the fixing them up. Especially sheet metal work. I would be moving on to a new project when I get rid of this one. Of course there is always the chance that I’ll want to hang on to it for a little while longer be fore the next one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're only doing a partial frame rail replacement?

How do the tops of the aprons look?
Yup partial replacement. The rest of the rail is in good shape. Not worth all the extra work to remove the entire rail. It’s just a daily driver not a show car haha

Apron tops had holes on both side of the shock tower and on both sides of the car with old patches. I’m just going to remove the old patches and redo them.
1584138382907.jpeg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Feb 2020

This month I tackled the L floor pan/seat platform and L lower firewall.

I’ve had the new floor pan since 2001 but no car to put it in. The pan fit pretty well except at the transmission crossmember. Took some serious dolly work to get it to fit right. The lower firewall and seat platform also required some tweaking but nothing major.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My aunt had a 67 289 4speed she bought brand new. When I was a teenager she let me drive it around her paved driveway. I always really like that car. Also a buddy of mine when I was running around town back in the early 90s had a 67 fastback with a 3 speed in the floor with a 302. He hot rodded that thing every time he drove it. A lot of good memories with the 67s

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I worked in a body shop from the ages of 16 to 23. Started out sweeping the shop through a high school work program, ended up getting a job there and worked my way up to painting cars. I bought a 67 coupe project car from the owner of the shop when I was 18. Sadly I had to sell the shell when the shop moved locations and I had nowhere to store the car. I did end up keeping a bunch of parts and the itch to get another one some day and finish it.

I’m 36 now so we’ll just call this my mid life crisis car lol. Either way I’m checking off a bucket list item with this project. I also have a son and I’m looking forward to tackling a father/son project when he’s old enough to participate. Hopefully it’s something special we can bond over for years to come!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mar 1 to Mar 7

Moved over the the R side. Added a torque box, frame rail patches, new floor support, floor pan/seat platform and lower firewall.

Decided to add a torque box to stiffen things up. I also plan on sub frame connectors. Both boxes came with the gussets, might throw those on too.

Frame rails required some patching behind the connection to the floor support. Everything fit pretty well except the floor pan at the transmission crossmember. It required the same massaging as the L side. This is my first restoration and I’m happy to say this side took one quarter the time the L hand side took!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts