Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 A code Deluxe/Luxury trim 289 C4
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone!

Been waiting to make this post for quite a while. I have a 67 Coupe Deluxe that my grandmother purchased in 1969 from a little old lady in Pasadena (Not even kidding). This is also the first car my mom ever drove. Anyway, my grandmother gave it to me back in 97 when she quit driving, and it’s been sitting in my parent’s garage in Ca. until now. She passed away 4 years ago Nov 21, and it only seemed fitting I had this car shipped to NC from Ca last week To being my project. I’ve always wanted to restore this car, but with college, being active duty military for 4 years, and starting out a career; I was never in a place where I could start working in it. Finally at a point in life where I can.

So the engine is an A code, manufactured in San Jose, Body code 65B, the trim is 6A, with a C4 trans. I’ve looked high and low over the years, and have never seen a coupe with this interior (Aside from restores switching over to the deluxe or luxury package). You typically don’t see the overhead console with map lights on those though. I know this was a low production model, but it’s always had me wondering if this is the last deluxe coupe that’s completely original in existence. We’ll see as I begin the restore, but my understanding is everything is still completely original at least. I know my grandfather had the engine and trans rebuilt in the 80’s so maybe things were swapped out then, but my understanding is that it’s the same engine and trans. The body is in great shape, and was repainted about 8 years ago. There was surface rust on the body, so we had a quick and dirty paint job done to keep the rust from getting into the body. Overall though, this car’s going to need a lot of love. While I can think if it, this car does have factory AC, power steering, front power disk brakes, and the tilt & telescoping wheel. Oh, and I have the original owners manual too. All in all, it looks like a great canvas to start with. Can’t think of much else to add, but if there’s any questions, ask away.

Anyway, really looking forward to becoming more active on this forum.

So onto pics of the car!
Speedometer Wheel Vehicle Odometer Gauge

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Fixture Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive air manifold

Hood Tire Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Bicycle part Hood Automotive tire Rim

Hand Badge Medal Emblem Event

·
Registered
270 Posts
That's awesome man, welcome to VMF!
Tons of experience on here, which has definitely helped me through rebuild/resto of my '67 vert project.
Enjoy the journey!

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
5,047 Posts
Welcome, nice backstory and car.

·
Premium Member
8,263 Posts
Welcome to VMF !!

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
That looks in great shape, mine is similar but no AC or tilt column, they must have checked every box! Do you have the deluxe exterior package too, underhood light, trunk light? I have those and the overhead console as you do and found an article on recovering the map buttons with foil to make them look new again.
Good luck on your journey. I've collected the interior parts to convert mine to AC but it'll be a new Sanden system under the hood.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
...the trim is 6A... I’ve looked high and low over the years, and have never seen a coupe with this interior (Aside from restores switching over to the deluxe or luxury package). You typically don’t see the overhead console with map lights on those though. I know this was a low production model, but it’s always had me wondering if this is the last deluxe coupe that’s completely original in existence. We’ll see as I begin the restore, but my understanding is everything is still completely original at least... tilt & telescoping wheel.
Very nice car with a lot of desirable options. The Ford name for the deluxe interior is the "interior decor" option. All interior decor equipped coupes and fastbacks received the upper console. There are still a lot of them out there, but obviously not as common as the standard interior. Do you still have the optional lower console - that appears to have been removed. Also I see that the fiberglass seat backs have been removed, but the lower side ones are still in place. The ones in the back got kicked and blown out, so I would guess that it was decided to put the vinyl inserts in. Also FYI the steering column is "tilt-away", but does not "telescope" like some other vehicles. If you don't have a Marti report, pick one up, I think you will appreciate the evidence that it will provide on how unique the car is.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,750 Posts
Nice project car with provenance! I had a project a few years ago that is similar in some ways to yours. It was bought a few miles away from Pasadena off the Ford lot in Monrovia, California in 1969 and is still owned by the same person here in NorCal. California car since new. It is also a coupe with the factory Interior Decor Group. In addition to the individual Marti Report on your car, Marti also publishes a statistical compilation of Mustang data for the early Mustangs under the title "Mustang by the Numbers 1967-1973" According to that book, in 1967 Ford built 22,197 coupes with the Interior Decor Group. Other than these 2, how many are left is anyone's guess. Here's a pic taken at the time the project was completed:

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts