Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Afternoon , I just purchased a 67 coupe. orginally 6cyl but now has a 302 and think not sure how to tell. what year or if it's a 289. and I been reading around and cant seem to find an answer. I want to convert from drum to disk brakes , I have a few pick and pulls around me but not sure which cars will bolt on . I read that a granada 77-79 will .but is there anymore cars? rumor is aerostar/ rangers/ explorers/ and 79+ mustangs front disk will work? does anyone know of this is true ?
also I picked up a t5 from a 98 V6 mustang. anyone know what kind of mods or flywheel / clucht il need. and I've heard I can get the read end out of a 95-99 explorer is this true as well?

also anyknow what chairs will bolt on? from which cars for temporary solution while I save up to buy chairs

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
I can't tell from your photo if the car still has the 6 cylinder 4 lug wheels or if it has been converted to the V8 5 lug wheels. If it has 5 lug hubs and spindles you can convert them directly to the original Kelsey Hayes style calipers and rotors but that will cost a few hundred dollars. If you can find a '68-'73 Mustang front disc setup (spindles, calipers, rotors) that can be bought cheaply they will fit. The disc brake setup from a '75-'80 Granada, Maverick or Comet will also fit.
Whichever disc setup you use will require a disc brake master cylinder and a proportioning valve in the line to the rear drum brakes. It is not a bolt-on and go job. It takes some time and effort to do the swap.
There are hundreds of posts on this website related to disc brake conversions.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Chairs? Do you mean seats? I know that the seats from '65-'70 Mustangs are all a bolt-in swap. I'm not sure about the '71-'73 Mustang seats.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,170 Posts
The only bolt in front bucket seats are first gen mustang but nearly any bucket can be modified to fit. A lot depends on how tall you are as these cars can be a bit tight if you're above average height.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,170 Posts
No, disc brakes from any of those cars will take extensive fab work t ok make work, except the Granada. But those are getting rare and aren't a great option considering the options that are available.

This guy will get you stopping and steering in the right direction. http://chockostangclassicmustang.com/

·
Premium Member
7,376 Posts
It would help to know your city state and country, if not in the US.

Engine: 4 bolts on the crankshaft which pushes it to 1970 or later 302. If you clean the crank pulley, there will be a part number, like D1OE-A or something. That will be a good indicator of what you have.

Brakes: 1967 is about the easiest. The spindles are the same, disc or drum, 6 cylinder or V8. You can buy 4 piston original style set up or aftermarket like Baer without changing your spindles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would help to know your city state and country, if not in the US.

Engine: 4 bolts on the crankshaft which pushes it to 1970 or later 302. If you clean the crank pulley, there will be a part number, like D1OE-A or something. That will be a good indicator of what you have.

Brakes: 1967 is about the easiest. The spindles are the same, disc or drum, 6 cylinder or V8. You can buy 4 piston original style set up or aftermarket like Baer without changing your spindles.
I am in Virginia Beach, Virginia and I been looking into diff sets .but was hoping to save money by getting some from the pick n pull junkyard near me they have alot of Fords

·
Registered
37,701 Posts
Like Bob says, the '67 spindles are the same for I6 and V8 and drum OR disc so adding disc brakes is as easy as getting the caliper brackets and calipers for a '65-67 (although the fittings on the hoses are larger on a '67 so you have to match the hoses to calipers) and the '65-67 pads and rotors. It's probably one of the easier disc conversions out there and requires no spindle change or alignment afterward.

Your engine is PROBABLY a 302, having the 4-bolt pulley and most likely a '75 up as it has a Duraspark coil and coil plug. The block casting number, stamped on the side behind where the starter motor would hide it will shed some light, as will the partial VIN on the back of the block by the bellhousing.

Did you get the T-5 WITH the bellhousing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts