Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thank you. I'm starting to get pretty excited now that I'm starting to see the finished product falling together.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I didn't have a whole lot of time to work on the car yesterday and I didn't want to bother heating up the garage for a few hours of work so I decided to recover my rear seats. The covers are the matching set that came with my Procar rally seats. After I pulled the covers off the seat back last weekend and was hit with a musty mildew smell immediately I decided I was going to get new padding and start back from fresh. I ordered a rear edge padding set and a and a complete pad set for the seats from NPD. I took a ride to Walmart and picked up some new burlap to make sure I was going to eliminate any sources of the smell. Once I got everything stripped down and cleaned up I started rebuilding the seats. This was my first attempt at upholstery and I'm pretty happy with how they came out. I didn't have a steamer to get out some of the wrinkles from where they were folded in the box but I'm assuming one he car gets warm and the stretch that's on the material they will work themselves out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I straightened out the little wave in the middle of the front edge on the seat bottom when I hog ringed the material that goes up over the hump. Didn't realize the pic was taken before I fixed that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Got a pretty good amount of work done yesterday. I fished the MSD tach output wire through the firewall so I could install the new gauge cluster. I soldered on some terminal pins and used a deutsch connector to make a solid connection to the tach. Once I was happy with how the cluster was looking I started mounting my MSD box and running the wires for it. Was able to get all of it wired except for the coil leads because I need to modify the bracket that holds the MSD high vibration coil. I also mounted the radiator and wired up the relay and sensor for the dual electric fans. Around that time the FedEx truck showed up with my carb studs, carb gasket, and rod ends for my throttle linkage. I figured if I had my soldering stuff out still to set the carb and wire in the electric choke line from the stator. I still have to finish wiring in the coil line, loom the section coming from the driver side fender to the engine, trim the MSD plug wires to a length that I'm happy with and then I'll be completely done with the electrical. Monday my braided lines and an fittings should be here along with my headliner from CJ's so hopefully within the next 8-10 days I'll be completed as long as something unexpected doesn't pop up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like the black valve covers set against the aluminum intake. That's a nice contrast. Sure is looking good!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I like the black valve covers set against the aluminum intake. That's a nice contrast. Sure is looking good!
Thank you. The braided line that I ordered to go from the pump to the carb is also black along with the an fittings I'll be using.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Good news and bad news today. Bad news is that the 2nd TMI headliner showed up and it was worse than the first one. After a phone call with CJ pony parts they are giving me a full refund and having UPS pick it up tomorrow. As soon as I got off the phone with them I called Mustangs To Fear and ordered their 1 piece headliner which seems like what I should have done in the first place.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Now to the good news. I modified the coil bracket today and was able to button up the wiring on the car. I shortened up the MSD plug wires and now waiting for the plug wire separators to show up to tidy them up. When I got home the braided line, an fittings, an filter, and 4150 fuel line was waiting for me. I installed the rest of the fuel system today and moved on to the radiator hoses. I ended up getting an upper radiator hose for a 68 302 mustang with a/c which was a direct fit. I also picked up a lower hose for a 1970 which seems like it will work after some trimming. I have some trimming to do on the bypass hose and installed a cap on the other water pump outlet. I also picked up some 1/4-28 all thread rod to make the throttle linkage tomorrow when the correct carb bushings show up from summit. Hopefully the MTF headliner will be here by the weekend so I can get that installed and finish the interior so I can get the pics to my insurance company and get it on the road.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The Mustangs to a Fear headliner showed up today and I have to say it is a night and day difference between it and the TMI unit. The install was flawless and it fits so much better than the TMI unit. After I was done installing it I finished up with the quarter panels, package tray and back seat. The plug wire separators showed up yesterday so I tossed them on and threw the retainer on the distributor. I also finished up the throttle linkage and installed that as well. I'm still waiting on some t bolt clamps for the radiator hoses and I'll be ready to fire it up.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Impressive and tasteful.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Got the rest of the interior installed last night. I put the new 6x9's in the package tray and wired them as well as the new dash speaker. I ordered some led's from superbrightleds.com for the center console glove compartment and rear console courtesy lights. After I finished up with the console I moved onto the procar rally seats. I cut the lowest set of holes off the seat tracks so I could install them as low as possible. Between the MTF headliner and the brackets set as low as they can I have plenty room between my head and the headliner. Getting in and out doesn't seem to be any tougher than with the worn out old stock seats.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Nice job on the rear seats! I didn't know anyone made replacement padding for the coupe rear seats. Looks like something to add to my list...I have the covers already.

I didn't have a whole lot of time to work on the car yesterday and I didn't want to bother heating up the garage for a few hours of work so I decided to recover my rear seats. The covers are the matching set that came with my Procar rally seats. After I pulled the covers off the seat back last weekend and was hit with a musty mildew smell immediately I decided I was going to get new padding and start back from fresh. I ordered a rear edge padding set and a and a complete pad set for the seats from NPD. I took a ride to Walmart and picked up some new burlap to make sure I was going to eliminate any sources of the smell. Once I got everything stripped down and cleaned up I started rebuilding the seats. This was my first attempt at upholstery and I'm pretty happy with how they came out. I didn't have a steamer to get out some of the wrinkles from where they were folded in the box but I'm assuming one he car gets warm and the stretch that's on the material they will work themselves out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Nice job on the rear seats! I didn't know anyone made replacement padding for the coupe rear seats. Looks like something to add to my list...I have the covers already.
Thanks, it took a little bit of patience and some tugging and stretching but im happy with the way it came out. You have to order the rear seat padding kit and the edge padding kit separate. I ended up buying 4 yards of burlap and having a little over 1 yard left over.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Got the hood on the car and pulled it out of the garage yesterday to get some pics for insurance. Once I got the photos I got the idea in my head that I was going to start it up and hear it for the first time. I pulled the distributor out and primed the oil. Coated the distributor gear with msd's break in lube and filled the carb bowls up with fuel. Gave the key a turn and it immediately lit off which I was thrilled about. It sounds great but between the long tubes and borla atak's it is really damn loud. Only problem I'm running into right now is that the tach is maxed out at 8k rpms with the car off and according to msd it has something to do with their box so I'll have to figure it out tomorrow when I get some time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Had a busy week with work last week so no big jobs with the car. Been getting the carb tuned in. Found out that the fuel tank developed a small leak over winter so I ordered a new premium tank kit from cj's that should be here this week. I ordered a 14x3 K&N air cleaner with a drop base that should be here tomorrow so I'm hoping it clears my hood. I have 4 new black seat belts on the way to match the new interior. I also ordered a tmi deluxe center console that will work with my factory console. I got my insurance policy started with Grundy last week and got my paperwork off to New York state to get the registration hopefully done by mid next week.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts