Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be starting this soon. Any tips/tricks when doing this?

Is there a method or certain way?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Only suggestion would be to brace the hell out of the unibody before anything is cut.

Also, might be a benifit to try to separate it allong the factory seams.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news is that I am only replacing the skin so all the structural members will be kept intact.

I have already dug the lead out of the factory seams on one side.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Check out Lemondrops cardomain Site he is the only one I've seen tackle this. You may want to shoot him a PT.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/488000-488999/488852_512_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/488000-488999/488852_785_full.jpg

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will drop him a line.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
A propane torch works well to remove the lead. There is a lead joint on the A pillar, right where the roof meets the pillar at the upper corner of the windsheild. The gutters are probably going to be the trickiest part to seperate since it is pinch welded the whole length. Although it was for a fastback skin, I found it easier to cut out the center of roof panel first. Then worked my way around to remove the front edge, rear edge then side edges by the gutters.
A cut off wheel in an angle grinder makes pretty easy work of removing the top layer of the pinch welded roof skin.
For the window frames, a spot weld cutter and an old strong sharp putty knive makes a nice seperation tool for the stubborn spot welds.

When you install the new skin are you planning to mig weld it on, or spot weld it? If spot welding you will probably want a 220V spot welder. I have a 110V that was marginal for doing the window areas. I ended up plug welding with the mig instead.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will plug weld with the mig

I was also contemplating shaving the drip rails

1 - 7 of 7 Posts