Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everybody! First-time buyer - been doing my research, with great advice from VMF, and found a car I'm interested in. Would love some feedback.

Pics here: http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/ap_mustang/

Details: In Okla. Current owner has owned for the last 12 years.
Original drivetrain w/ 273 gears. 289cu V-8, automatic, power steering, and power disc brakes. New vinyl interior.
No known rust, but will obviously check that. The bad, as disclosed: The dual exhausts were put on 12 years ago and "sound horrible." Brake master cylinder needs a new seal. Radio doesn't work (no biggie!).

Several questions:
1 - any obvious trouble spots from photos/description? (No trunk/motor photos yet, unfortuately.)
2 - is 10K reasonable, assuming everything as described?
3 - I have a car-literate friend going with me to look in person, but he's not expert in mustangs. What should he particularly look for mechanically? Where is rust likely to be hiding?

Many, many thanks for any and all advice!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Well where the heck are you? we got tons of VMF'rs all over the place, one might go with you to check it over. AND, Someone posted a well written "check" list on here a while back, goes into GREAT detail on what to look for.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I've seen that exact interior before...

The rust I found on mine that I didn't find before hand was on the doors, the bottoms are easy to see, the problem I had was in the bottom corner on the joint side. It was rusted badly and I looked pretty good, I supose thats a spot that needs to be felt. Floor boards are another biggy, but he might not appreate pulling up the carpet, you should be able to tell somewhat from the underside of the car, the steel should feel solid.

Overall the car looks very sharp. How far is it from you? Mine was another state away and took some decent gas money to drive it back. But it looks like this one has highway gears in it so that should help a lot. Looks like a really nice find actually...

As far as price goes, I'd say that is about right. Others will know better, I'm use to looking at cars that need a lot of work.

And btw, IMHO that is the best looking Mustang year and body style, good choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice on the doors, Stephen.

I DO love the '67 coupe. It is exactly what I wanted, which is why I'm fighting myself to stay reasonable and look at it with a skeptical eye!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ponies - The car is in Oklahoma City. I'm in DC, but my brother-in-law lives nearby and is taking a looksee for me. (I'll have a fun drive back if I go through with it!)

I'll try posting to the regional group to see if I can get a VMF expert to ride along.

Any tips on finding that checklist with the search function? I tried a couple things and no luck.

Thanks so much for the reply!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I got it at home, could fax it.......let me know

I mean its a super check list!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, man, that would be GREAT! Let me try a few more things and see if I can find it, before I ask you to go to the trouble.
It would be priceless to have that checklist!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Unless the engine compartment and undercarriage is super-clean, I think that 10k it a little too high. It looks to be in nice shape, but I wonder why they would not include more pics to include the engine and underside.

To make this a 10k car, the everything else on the car would need to be nearly perfect. (engine, tranny, suspension etc.) IMHO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Meyer, and Mark! Looks like the consensus is - probably a little high. I thought it sounded a bit high, but I wanted a few more expert opinions.
I'll see how it looks in person and then decide what to offer.

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
But it looks like this one has highway gears in it so that should help a lot.
Although they're definitely "highway gears", I'm not aware of the 2.73 ratio as being a standard Ford ratio... I thought it was 2.79?

Regardless of this, $10k seems like an afwul lot of money. The last time I sold a "solid" Mustang, I included 20 pictures of the trunk and undercarriage to back up the "solid" description. For the seller not to have any pictures (yet) raises an immediate BS flag in my book. That, and the last time I drove from Eastern NC to Ponca City Oklahoma (34 hour roundtrip with a car hauler) to pick up an "almost rust-free Coupe", I about vomitted upon arrival, but since I traveled all that way, I loaded the car up, told the seller to drop dead and brought the car home whereupon I immediately gave it to a friend of mine for a 6 pack of beer.

I guess I should look at the pictures though before commenting further...

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts