Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this car from a guy I went to high school with. It was his mom's project that she was going to restore, but she passed away during the process. He asked that whomever bought it pieced it back and he wanted to see it running again. As anyone could probably part it out from double or triple what I paid for it. I'm doing a budget build because the end goals are to make a profit to waste my next build and have a strong running car for the next person down the line. This will be a slow thread for awhile. I work 6 days a week from sun up to sundown basically. I will tackle every issue with the car and all functionality will be restored (P/S, A/C, radio, etc) and I might upgrade a few things like add disc brakes or gauges.
Pros
Almost a complete car motor, tranny, seats, trim, etc
Has PS and AC and other extras
Auto tranny so anyone can drive it
V8 motor which should clean up nicely

Cons
What you see is what you get
Hasnt ran in at least 4 years and has been sitting in the elements without a hood, roof, doors, trunk lid, and air cleaner(she passed away over 4 years ago)
Not sure if the engine or transmission works or if they are repairable.
I'm guessing its a 298 with a c4 but I haven't been able to get to the tags yet (I peeked at the engine but everything was in my way and I didn't see an easy to get to it with removing things so I will worry about that later. And don't know where the trans tag is.)
No roof... but has a donor car roof which is nice.
Floor pans are rusted out, some rust holes in trunk, pilars, quarter panel and a few other spots.
Here are the pics

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having issues uploading pics
Only thing I've done to the car so far is a little cleaning and put the doors, hood and trunk lid back on. I have plastic bin full of parts floor mats, gauge cluster trim, etc

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
That’s a Project!

I’ll be following.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today, I attempted to separate the roof skin from the frame. The donor roof had most of the weld drilled out, so I drilled, cut and pulled apart the rest of them and it was a pain in the ass. If anyone wants to attempt that its best to drill the spot weld completely and pry the sheet metal apart gently with a flathead or a dull chisel and a hammer and tap lightly. If it doesn't come apart, drill some more. Using a cutting wheel made it harder for me in some areas. I cut the very end of the drip rails off to be able to split the metals. There is lead in several places (top of front pillars and bottom of the back pillars) that you will have to remove to get access to welds.If anyone has question ask or PM me.
This is basically what I am doing.
I got the roof skin on the 67. Need to trim it better and tac weld. Will add more pics after I finish trimming and get it tac welded.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the roof on, primed, etc. Not 100% but you cant tell unless you look at the drip rails, probably will clean them up more. No pics until next weekend.

I think someone put too much water to the motor oil and possibly the cyclinders. Only 4+ years with water in it. Should be fine right?
Will tear down and see what is salvageable as I search a cheap motor to rebuild. I have 3 2 barrel carbs and I don't the intake manifold is messed it. IF the heads are good as well I can get a short block. Which means most a short block from almost any year 289, 302 or 351w could work? Could change rod lengths and crank

Unrelated comment, I have a 289 engine for sale if anyone is interested. I can say its water tight.

Ordering windshield, floor pans and firewall panels. Got window regulators fixed. Car is almost rain proof.

·
Registered
870 Posts
First off, I love that sunroof. It's too bad you're so far from Seattle. I have a rebuildable 67 269 that came out of one of my Cougars that you could have for minimal change. You won't have a simple job but I'd say the restoration is do-able.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have mixed feelings about saving anything.

Then I pulled the rad hoses. It looked like projectile vomit from a possessed person.
Thanks for the offer Travis. Im sad cause it looks like the valve train was rebuilt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update
Pulled the heads. 1 cylinder on each side is rusted. Surprisingly not as bad as I would have thought. However it comes off easily. So next time Ill drain the oil and pull the pan and check out the crank and rods. If they are the same then Im going to clean and soak them and rebuild it. Once its rebuild then compression test it if its good ill throw it back in. Its over 100 today so I didn't feel like standing around sweating to grab pictures. I just wanted to make some progress.
Father in law thinks it had a blown head gasket because only 1 cylinder had water. But i think the other side had water but the rings are probably bad so it drained into the oil is my guess. Other 6 cylinders have a lot of build up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts