Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 67 vert since 1990. It has a well worn black dash pad that I replace with a repo black version several years ago. I have no reason to believe that the old dash was not Original to the car. In fact, I would be very surprised if it wasnt.

I have had several people question this, and now I am wondering what determined if or when ford chose to use the color matched dash, vs the standard black?

*Car originally had a standard interior/dash.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Dash pad should be red, service part# for reference is C7ZZ-6504290-A1D

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dash pad should be red, service part# for reference is C7ZZ-6504290-A1D
View attachment 775235
I wonder If they might have subbed out black when stock was low on the matching color? When I first took this apart back in 1990, it really seemed like it had never been apart before.

·
Registered
926 Posts
There have been multiple interviews with people that worked at the assembly plants in a variety of positions, and when a question like this comes up, there were two camps; those that just "did not know" and those that say that if there were a parts shortage, the car would not be scheduled to go down the line until the parts were there - to do anything else would be foolish. This is one of the many reasons why the cars were not built sequentially (based on the six digit number in the VIN), and why cars ordered the same day were often built days or weeks apart. When the car was processed the interior code was known, and the computer (yes they were in use) would be used in the supply chain process. There were real people with real jobs, and their jobs depended on keeping the assembly line flowing. That includes making sure that the product was on hand at the facility, and making sure that the assembly process did not come to a halt for something like this. There are cases where cars were marked as "defective", and at an opportune spot (which could have been the end of the line) the car was moved to a repair location before being shipped out. That said, could mistakes happen? Anything could happen. But I've collected extensive documentation on about 100 unrestored cars and none of them have a non-matching dash (noting that black was used in a parchment interior). If it were me, I would look for a red one.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
On an added note to 67gta, 67 saddle interiors also came with brown dash pads as my '67 (unrestored at time of purchase) had a brown one. I have also seen other saddle interiors with brown pads. I have actually kept my original dash as even though it was a little warped, it had no cracks.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
Red or dark red would definitely look better.
It should match that knee pad.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am finding this very perplexing.. I have owned three 67 mustangs. My first had a saddle interrior, the Convertible is Red, and I had a Black Deluxe coupe. All three had black dash pads..

I was convinced that both my vert, and my first (saddle) car came that way.. but who knows. My first car was a 6cyl coupe that I purchased in '87. I would be shocked if anyone in 87 would have bothered to swap out the dash on a car, that didn't seem like it had gotten ANY TLC before my purchase. And both the saddle, and the vert (black) dashes seemed very original, and had the typical droop look from being sun baked, Florida cars..

I think both cars were Jax DSO cars.. that makes me wonder if there was a phase where they just ran black to save cost?

@myfirstcar66 I happen to think the black dash looks good on it, but I have never seen it side-by-side with a red one.

I am trying to make the car look sort of "period correct", even though I don't care much for being 100% concourse. I just love the look of the 67 interrior, and want to keep it that way.. (mostely)

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
@caveeagle , black doesn't look bad, I just think the matching red would look better, more "in-place" as Ford designed it.
And I ABSOLUTELY agree the 1967 Deluxe interior is one of the most attractive automotive interiors in history. I would love to have an all-black 67. I'm just afraid MyFirstCar would be jealous ! :LOL:

Reactions: 67Ragtopp

·
Registered
926 Posts
I just finished reviewing pictures of 151 unrestored cars. Now with my best Marti report voice over "of these, 11 were red in color", and "of these, 5 had the interior decor option"

In all 11 cases, the dashpad was red.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@caveeagle , black doesn't look bad, I just think the matching red would look better, more "in-place" as Ford designed it.
And I ABSOLUTELY agree the 1967 Deluxe interior is one of the most attractive automotive interiors in history. I would love to have an all-black 67. I'm just afraid MyFirstCar would be jealous ! :LOL:
I had a Black w Black deluxe interior, 67 coupe at one point. If was just a C code coupe, but it had the exterrior and interrior decore group, as well as A/C and the upper console. The look of that Black, deluxe interror is what sold me on that car..
I just finished reviewing pictures of 151 unrestored cars. Now with my best Marti report voice over "of these, 11 were red in color", and "of these, 5 had the interior decor option"

In all 11 cases, the dashpad was red.
sorry to beat this to death..

but out of those 111 cars, were there any non- black cars that had a black dash
?

·
Registered
926 Posts
No problem at all, I should have mentioned it. Attached is the raw data, and pictured below is a summary of interiors by type. The answer though is the only cars with a black dash had black or parchment interiors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem at all, I should have mentioned it. Attached is the raw data, and pictured below is a summary of interiors by type. The answer though is the only cars with a black dash had black or parchment interiors.

View attachment 775343
My car is 7R03C111030
76A _T_2D_30J_61_01

I guess I need to step up my education on all the codes.. Other than being a Candyapple Red Vert, with a 2v289 and a power top, this car was pretty darn 'Plain Jane' as delivered. I never saw this car as being a good candidate for a concourse restoration. My goal has always been to build it as a period correct resto-mod that retained most of the look that it would have had if I had ordered it myself.. FWIW. If, or when I take it apart again, I will be very tempted to put the Red dash on it as it "should" be.. But for now, I think it looks ok, and very few people even question it..

If I am understanding you correctly.. an tan(saddle) interrior would have come with a black dash. Which explains why my first car, (an i6 coupe) had a black dash.. and my Black/Black 67 also came with a black dash. I guess I never really questioned the black dash on my 67 Red/Red Vert..

Now, I am wondering if the previous/original owners migh have used black dye on the original dash? I did see some evidence the car had been "spruced up" a little, but replacing the dash would have been a really odd thing to do (pre 1990), when considering other parts of the car that had not been addressed.

Another clue/question is the molding that goes up in the crack between the dash pad and the front-glass. It was also black. some cars I have seen with a colored dash, also had that trim in a matching color. Was that typical on a 67?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Saddle would have a brown dash. The molding between the dashpad and windshield was color keyed to the dash. Not an exact match, but close. A satin finish so it would not be too reflective and pose a safety concern.

·
Registered
926 Posts
It can be dangerous to use a different model year (68 in this case) as a reference, but in this case it works.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It can be dangerous to use a different model year (68 in this case) as a reference, but in this case it works.
I think its interesting that for 68, they added all the padding to the console, and removed it from the A pillars..

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Not for colour coordinating. Ford was consistent throughout the years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts