Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am redoing the interior on my 67 gta vert. The car is red on red with a white top. I am converting to deluxe interior. The paint on the metal dash is not the same color as the red door paint or fabric. A knowledgeable freind says the dash paint should be the same color as the doors, a maroon red, like the fabric. The paint on the dash looks more like the candyapple red than the maroon. A freind has a white gta vert with the red deluxe interior and his dash looks more maroon. I was wondering if the red on red cars had different dash paint than other red interior cars. What is the correct color my dash should be? Thanks in advance, Bob

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Your friend is right re the dash color. The 66 and 67 interior reds are the same. That red color is called red iridescent and it IS a transparent red semi-gloss. About a year ago, did a 68 cvt deluxe interior in 66-7 red-special ordered the upholstery. Found that in painting that color, the transparency was a PITA so I ground coated it with a coat of a very similar color in non metallic first and it worked! Use a light gray primer, use SEM self-etch primer in gray as it is lacquer base as are the paints offered by NPD and others. They sell SEM and Seymour brands. Light gray primer is the best to use as red primer can throw it off a slight bit. The doors, dash, pillars, quarter trim metal are all that color. All of the interior vinyl is the same color except the dashpad. The dash trim is also that same darker semi gloss maroon as the pad.
DO NOT use Rainbow brand, It is thinner than thin!!!

A short while back, 22GT put a pic of a white 67 fastback with red interior on a thread. It was dead on and a most beautiful interior. Am sure he would put it back on for you.

Have a helluva time getting a pic on line so if you send me a PM with your address I'll send you a pic of that color. You sold me some 68 metal pieces 'bout a year ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts