Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 67 fastback and both doors have quite a bit of rot. Both on the outside and ion the inside up into the textured section. I fabricated patch panels and welded them in on one door. But there is no texture to it and it will be obvious when painted.

I'm looking at repop doors and was wondering which doors you might have used. How was the fit and finish. CJPP only has one door DYNADR2-V for about $600/pair. NPD has two doors I'm looking at. The 20124-01A and 20125 -01A which were used on an episode of Autorestomod. These looked to have a good fit on the 66 they were working on for about $450/pair. The others I'm looking at are the 20124- 01C and 20125-01C which are suposed to have thicker metal and are about $850/pair. I not sure they're any better than the others. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,366 Posts
You may be able to "hammer in" some texture to your patch, could consider using an otherwise damaged door as a donor for patches, maybe covering the entire inner door with a vinyl skin like a modern car door then reinstalling the door panels (very classy when done right). Nothing fits like the originals.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking I need new doors, I've replaced the front fenders and the rear quarters. I don't think I'll be able to clean all the rust out of the door where the skin and the frame overlap. I'd hate to do all this work and have the doors start to rust again in 4-5 years.

Nextgen I've used the Dynacorn rear quarters and had good success with them so I'm leaning that way but I'd like to hear from others on their success. I can believe we're the only two that have replaced doors.

·
Registered
35,936 Posts
One way of cleaning the rust in the doors is to make a dip tank from a scrap 300 gallon cage tank and use electrolysis....

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,299 Posts
Watch your facebook market place or craigslist. I picked up a very very clean d side door for 45$ from a local guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts