Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear @all,

pulled the drive shaft of my '67 C-code 289 with 4-S Toploader. Cleaned the shaft with brake cleaner and found five color bands placed in the center section of the shaft:

PINK - LT GREEN - LT GREEN - YELLOW - YELLOW

These colored bands are 3/4 perimeter. Not nicely done. Start as paint dab with 3/4" and develop into a band, width seems to be 19/32". Will take some pics end of this week.

One light blue 'X' near the slip yoke on the drive shaft pipe.

Do you think this paint code is authentical?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Joachim said:
Do you think this paint code is authentical?
Interesting. To answer your question I've never seen 5 stripes in all the hundreds I've looked at through the years. My guess would be that the stripe guy was a little happy that day and you got double stripes for the yellow and green on that particular driveline. What you found just is not typical.

Thanks for sharing what you found

·
Registered
406 Posts
And you never crawled up under my 67 vert when it was on the show circuit!! It had 3 sloppy stripes near the center and 2 white stripes at the rear. I have original pics somewhere...will have to try and dig them up.

Regards,

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Would be great to see them.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Thanks for posting ... have to ask.

Where did you find that front yoke? can't remember seeing anything like that over here in a Ford.

As you can best describe what are the colors? (I think I see a pink, green yellow) Had similar colors reported a couple years back on a C code 3 speed. Whites are often reported as pink, light brown and light yellows due to wear and road effects

What plant and time period? We've finding things like drivelines and other things changing during the years.

You report it was a 289 4 speed. A, C or K code?

Thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Jeff,

drive shaft comes from my '67 convert:

C-code 289, Toploader 4spd M/T, Dearborn built March 15th 1967. Matches what you can read from door warranty plate.

Cleaned grease and dirt off the shaft and found pink, yellow and green. Cleaned area with laquer thinner twice and colors stay strong as discribed. I know about fading of white into pink and yellow into tan.

Front slip-yoke came from a Ford dealer 15 years ago as a "HD replacement" for Mustangs.

Under the paint stripes was rust, no paint,

Cleaned the shaft, sprayed it semi gloss black and put on the stripes with a brush the way a line worker would have had applied 'em.

Jeff, what does make the slip-yoke so.... unique??

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Joachim said:
@Jeff,
Cleaned the shaft, sprayed it semi gloss black and put on the stripes with a brush the way a line worker would have had applied 'em.

Jeff, what does make the slip-yoke so.... unique??
The original ones were shaped like the picture below with out the large circular part like the one shown in your picture. BTW the drivelines were not semi-gloss black but natural steel with a blue heat line the length of the tube

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jeff.

Well, because I am using the '67 for driving in dry weather I used "incorrect" semi gloss black because it will prevent the shaft from rust. Had the idea to let the shaft plate black-zinc. But I do not like to zinc-plate parts or components that are under high stress/tension/torque. Zinc-plating can make parts brittle and easier to break, especially when they are 30 or more years old.

For the slip-yoke, it seems it has a vibration damper integrated, so it could be from a full size car or maybe a truck?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have my original drive shaft.I have at least 5-8 strips in the middle of the shaft. Plus several other markings,Daubt,daskes ect all over the drive shaft. But !!! The largest in Width on the center of my drive shaft are the color arrangment that matches my build sheet color codes. I took out my original shaft to save it and duplicated the markings ect. on a new shaft then High temp cleared. To be Authentic you may want to try to match to known color codes for the drive shaft assemblie or match to build sheet. if it does I would think it was Authentic. Hope this helps !!
J.T.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 67 coupe making into a restomod. The drive shaft had 3 colored bands. Looks like white,green,pink. Anyone else have these?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts