Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 67 Convertible, and am planning to install an original factory console that has been trimmed to fit the vert floor.

I also have a new RetroSound stereo, that I plan Install at the same time. (already have the wiring harness all connected in)

Does anyone know, or have the order of operations for this work?

Toploader with a Hurst shifter. The shifter handle does not unbolt. Do I have to remove the whole shifter?

I am trying to figure out if I should bolt the stereo to the console first? or put the console in first and the try to sneak it in after the console is in place?

Also.. I am planning to remove at least the passenger seat. And possibly remove the front carpet, to align and drill the holes in the floor pan.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If the dash is all in then I think attach the radio before ,if no glove box,heater core do it after. Drop shifter if possible it will save so much grief. Come to think about it I`m pretty sure the radio has to go after.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heater core is still in and hooked up. glove box is easy enough to remove.

so If I am going to pull the Hurst shifter out, it seems like the whole console can easily slide into place with the radio bolted in.

i think I need to order an assembly manual to clear up a few things. i was never sure if the shifter boot went in above or below the carpet.

If the dash is all in then I think attach the radio before ,if no glove box,heater core do it after. Drop shifter if possible it will save so much grief. Come to think about it I`m pretty sure the radio has to go after.

·
Registered
479 Posts
One hint, before you drill through the carpet put the console in place and mark the holes by burning through the carpet with a small tip soldering iron or wood burning tool. That will prevent the carpet from catching on the bit and running the carpet threads.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One hint, before you drill through the carpet put the console in place and mark the holes by burning through the carpet with a small tip soldering iron or wood burning tool. That will prevent the carpet from catching on the bit and running the carpet threads.
Thanks for the reminder on that. I think I want to remove the carpet to drill the holes . But this is a good idea either way.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Even if you drill with no carpet be sure to burn your holes through the carpet. Also, watch that fitting with the lack of carpet doesn't let the console sit lower than it will making your holes in the wrong place.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible Shelby clone
29 Posts
Aren't all 67s drilled for consoles from the factory? I have added consoles to every 67 that I have owned and they all had the holes there already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts