Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 67 fastback to build...
1. what's the best source?
2. What is the best power plant
3.what ste best suspension set up?

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
Welcome.

BEST for what,......what are your plans?

Have you researched fastback prices?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I understand that. I want a 67 fastback well built for the street so it can be driven and enjoyed. I am a long time racer of mostly foreign makes and know to ask about what works vs reinventing the wheel. So I thought I could begin learning by asking the group before I took a deep dive. Would be interested in hearing what works well with a build like this Sjk

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
Well built for the street,...what’s that mean? You need to be specific as to your goals.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Yeah, a well-built I-6 can cruise reliably for another 50 years. And a mild small block can keep you moving with the flow of traffic a little better. A hot little small block or stroker can surprise even the newest muscle car owner and carve corners like Dad shaving the turkey at Thanksgiving. An asphalt-eating pavement-pounding road-rocket that will pass anything but a gas pump can be built in the back yard, too.
So, are we talking about going for ice cream, or are we talking about making her scream?

Reactions: Israel

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I`ll say probably buy a dynacorn shell and start with that---No rust repair required,no buying something only to find out just how ugly that pig is under all that lipstick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best handling aftermarket suspension front and rear for a car with a
  • 5.2L Supercharged Cross Plane Crank V8
  • TREMEC® 7- Speed Dual Clutch Transmission
  • best aftermarket brake set up...I have looked at shells available but would prefer to find a restored donor with the proper interior/trim etc...
  • Essentially re-body a 2020 Shelby GT 500
has anyone done that?

·
Registered
786 Posts
...has anyone done that?
I love your enthusiasm Steve! You're describing an extremely advanced custom build. Basically, you're talking about a SEMA show car build. Unless you're a master custom car builder, the surest path is to commission Chip Foose, Troy Trepanier, or The Roadster Shop to build it for you. They will handle all the details. Just tell them what you want and open up your wallet. I think this would be an extremely challenging project even for them.

They'll likely buy a new 2020 GT500 as a "parts car", pull the drive train, computers, and wiring harness, then sell off the leftovers to recoup some money. Big names like Foose or Trepanier may have the connections with Ford (via Roush) to buy a race-only "body in white" straight from the factory. Ford might go for it if there's a promotional angle with the press. It may be initially cheaper to source a wrecked parts car, but it's a gamble something you need is broken. Such delays wastes a lot of money when you're paying $150 to $200 per hour for labor.

I can't imagine the final cost. My best guess would be between $300k to $500K. But if you run around with a crowd of classic British racers, then you certainly can afford it.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
So is the above what you’re looking for?

I’m curious, as that’s an Extreme Build. I’d Love to follow.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Wait!...there's more.
1. what do you like? Stock, day 2, can't be beat stop-light dragger? Eleanor?, full custom? lowered/autocrosser style? You decide.
2. Then look into your income. Got enough for any or all of that? Got a wife that supports this? Seems everyhing cost more than you think, or planned on.
3. Where to look? everywhere. But cars from the south west, southern west coast seem to have less rust issues. Might be cheaper to buy someones already started but given up on project.
Engine: what do yo like or have the ability to work on?

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
There is always this option too...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Take a look at the Vehcor You tube channel. vehcor

Generally the guy picks up modern salvage cars and trucks and rebuilds them to a high standard. Recently he picked up a 65 Mustang convertible that was not a wreck and a wrecked 2015 Mustang and is combining the 2015 chassis with the 1965 body. His goal is to have a finished car that has all the modern equipment and features with the classic looks. Is this sort of thing similar to what you are contemplating?

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
714 Posts
Best handling aftermarket suspension front and rear for a car with a
  • 5.2L Supercharged Cross Plane Crank V8
  • TREMEC® 7- Speed Dual Clutch Transmission
  • best aftermarket brake set up...I have looked at shells available but would prefer to find a restored donor with the proper interior/trim etc...
  • Essentially re-body a 2020 Shelby GT 500
has anyone done that?
So let me get this straight? You want to take a great car and then ruin it? Ugh.

Buy something that’s already a mess and do that or as others suggested buy a Dynacorn body. Then spend as much $$ as you want and share your progress with us.

Otherwise all your doing is using the external sheet metal and some of the interior as I’m sure you will customize that as well. And like others have said you need to think this out more as far as what you want and how much $ you want to spend.

IMO

Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Take a look at the Vehcor You tube channel. vehcor

Generally the guy picks up modern salvage cars and trucks and rebuilds them to a high standard. Recently he picked up a 65 Mustang convertible that was not a wreck and a wrecked 2015 Mustang and is combining the 2015 chassis with the 1965 body. His goal is to have a finished car that has all the modern equipment and features with the classic looks. Is this sort of thing similar to what you are contemplating?
Correct...but with a 67 fastback and a 2020 power plant if that all makes sense..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So let me get this straight? You want to take a great car and then ruin it? Ugh.

Buy something that’s already a mess and do that or as others suggested buy a Dynacorn body. Then spend as much $$ as you want and share your progress with us.

Otherwise all your doing is using the external sheet metal and some of the interior as I’m sure you will customize that as well. And like others have said you need to think this out more as far as what you want and how much $ you want to spend.

IMO

Chris
Exactly...hence my thread...Nice to see the response and comments all good...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wait!...there's more.
1. what do you like? Stock, day 2, can't be beat stop-light dragger? Eleanor?, full custom? lowered/autocrosser style? You decide.
2. Then look into your income. Got enough for any or all of that? Got a wife that supports this? Seems everyhing cost more than you think, or planned on.
3. Where to look? everywhere. But cars from the south west, southern west coast seem to have less rust issues. Might be cheaper to buy someones already started but given up on project.
Engine: what do yo like or have the ability to work on?
I like the 67 Bullet look, so the question is what to put under it. I have see the builds by Revology and they are nice but I would rather manage the project my self. it's not a 6 month project as it might take that long to sort out the solution approach and source the car/cars...I don't want to waste a penny if I can avoid it thru proper research and sourcing..

1 - 20 of 52 Posts