Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 67 doesnt have the front shields. Should it?

On the rear shields I destroyed the tab that the foreword lower fender bolt attaches to behind the wheel.

The rubber shields are toast.

CJ has a 4-piece replacement kit for $80 Does anyone know if the CJ kit has the needed tab for the lower fender bolt?

Something else I didnt know I needed, since its only $80, I feel like I caught a break!

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
My 67 doesnt have the front shields. Should it?

On the rear shields I destroyed the tab that the foreword lower fender bolt attaches to behind the wheel.
CJ has a 4-piece replacement kit for $80 Does anyone know if the CJ kit has the needed tab for the lower fender?
The lower fender brackets are sold separately as a pair (l & r). CJ's part# FRBP.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lower fender brackets are sold separately as a pair (l & r). CJ's part# FRBP.
Why do they look like a couple simple L-brackets for $18.99?

·
Registered
962 Posts
There are some addition details in the part so I don’t think that a simple L bracket is a fair description. We don’t know the tooling costs for two; left and right are different. You can go to a hardware store and buy L brackets for $6-8 and then spend 20 minutes modifying them, and they might work?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The same bracket is $7.74 a set at NPD.

It always pays to shop around.

I ordered the brackets, keys, hi-horn, pretty much all I could on the $9 shipping charge.

Im going to order the shield kit from CJPP, its less expensive to order each part from NPD, but the kit comes assembled and I dont have to drill holes for the staples. I would do nuts and bolts instead of staples anyway, but theres so much to do, if I can get something ready to install, it will save me a days labor.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I have the rear shields from CJPP, the stamping isn't a that good and require some work to make them fit. There is a gap between the shield and the body that is going to require straightening out the flange and rebending, or filling with seam sealer. I've had them for awhile and should have tried them for fit, but now I'm just going to have to live with it.

·
Registered
36,513 Posts
The staples will hold very well, compared to bolts, unless you use large washers. And I have always used an awl to pierce the holes, much more accurate. But I rarely do that, because…

The shields with the rubber already stapled on are a great deal. Typically $20 each, including the seal, already stapled on.

·
Vendor
4,068 Posts
The same bracket is $7.74 a set at NPD.

It always pays to shop around.

I ordered the brackets, keys, hi-horn, pretty much all I could on the $9 shipping charge.

Im going to order the shield kit from CJPP, its less expensive to order each part from NPD, but the kit comes assembled and I dont have to drill holes for the staples. I would do nuts and bolts instead of staples anyway, but theres so much to do, if I can get something ready to install, it will save me a days labor.
Thank you for the order!

Regarding the pre-assembled splash shield kit, we "could" carry those as well, but my last discussion on that topic with my Ford Project Manager came down to a matter of principle.. This was the gist of the conversation:

"Why aren't we carrying these assembled splash shield kits?"

"Because they're junk and I refuse to sell them."

LOL.. That might be a bit harsh.. And the conversation took place years ago.. Looking at photos, it appears that maybe Taiwan has stepped up and is now using a more-correctish type of material.

We'll have to revisit this and take another look. Which also brings me to the thought that maybe we could do our own concours-correct assembled sets here, and then juxtapose them against the cheaper Taiwan-assembled sets, and then please everyone.. I just know that whomever in my warehouse I give the job of assembly to, they're going to hate me.. ;) LOL..

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Rick, Im just up 75 from you in Middle GA, but the parts are scheduled to be delivered today, pretty quick considering.

Sometimes best price is a deciding factor, but those splash shields seem labor intensive, so for me, its worth spending more. Im working on two cars plus everything else in life and time seems to be in short supply.

·
Vendor
4,068 Posts
Thanks Rick, Im just up 75 from you in Middle GA, but the parts are scheduled to be delivered today, pretty quick considering.

Sometimes best price is a deciding factor, but those splash shields seem labor intensive, so for me, its worth spending more. Im working on two cars plus everything else in life and time seems to be in short supply.
It is indeed labor-intensive.. I'm already researching wire stitching machines to speed up the process.. The trick being, do we ever sell enough sets to pay for the friggin' machine LOL...

We'll see.. Thanks again!

Rick
NPD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts