Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
There is a black custom 69 fastback on Ebay right now with flush tail lights. You might try pinging him for answers. Pretty cool for a custom bodied fastback.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I've done this before and it's pretty easy. I welded some strips of 18 ga metal with the tail light screws welded to it then to the body, then finished the front side to hide where the holes used to be. The hard part is lining up the metal strips with the welded screws so that they will go into the tail light housings. I suggest using an old tail light housing and lens to insure everything lines up correctly before welding it to the body.

·
Administrator
19,667 Posts
I kind of have an issue with those versions being non-reflective. I've run up behind people with no taillights at night many a time and reflectors pretty much saved all of us.
I like the flush modification just fine but I think it might be done better with '67-8 lenses or something.
Every run across a bicycle rider at night who was basically invisible except whatever reflectors they had. Pretty darn important safety feature. There is some of the same safety issue with pre-1968 cars having no side reflectors which bothers me a bit but it's much less of an issue. And the clean sided look is kind of cool.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I would think that you have to graft a '67-'68 Taillight panel onto a '69-'70..

I would'nt think much else would be required other than swapping the taillights..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I kind of have an issue with those versions being non-reflective. I've run up behind people with no taillights at night many a time and reflectors pretty much saved all of us.
I like the flush modification just fine but I think it might be done better with '67-8 lenses or something.
Every run across a bicycle rider at night who was basically invisible except whatever reflectors they had. Pretty darn important safety feature. There is some of the same safety issue with pre-1968 cars having no side reflectors which bothers me a bit but it's much less of an issue. And the clean sided look is kind of cool.
It's also the law, IIRC. You must have reflectors on the rear of a car, and usually they are built into the tail lights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts